‘18 brothels’ reported to police in Havering over past year
- Credit: Archant
Reports relating to as many as 18 brothels have been made to Havering Police in the past year, new figures show.
Strange men knocking on the wrong door late at night and condoms strewn outside shops are but two horror situations that triggered reports in the 12 months to October.
Figures obtained by a Freedom of Information (FoI) request reveal 51 reports referring to brothels in Havering were logged by police.
Thirty-nine relate to suspected brothels. The other 12 are logs which mention the word “brothel”, such as “male known to frequent brothels”.
Altogether 18 locations around the borough have aroused enough suspicion for reports to be made.
You may also want to watch:
In Suttons Lane, Hornchurch, residents claim they have been living with the consequences of nearby brothel for more than two years.
One shopkeeper, who asked not to be named, said: “We know it’s there because we see condoms and used drugs outside there, and men all day long. It’s not nice.”
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 3 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 4 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 5 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 6 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 7 Town centre app launches to entice shoppers to Romford
- 8 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 9 'I've never felt so excited' - Theatre company saved from collapse
- 10 Romford Tesco Extra plants trees to offset car emissions
He added: “I’ve had my shop now for two to three years, and it’s been there since before me.”
A Suttons Lane resident, who lives just two doors down from the alleged brothel, said “strange men” sometimes mistakenly knock on her door.
“I never dreamed that there would be a problem like this in the area,” she said. “It’s just outside Hornchurch town centre - it’s a nice area.
“I certainly did not expect to have strange men knocking on my door at all times of the evening.”
A Havering Police spokesman said: “The figure of 51 could relate to the use of the word ‘brothel’ and does not necessarily mean there are 51 addresses which are believed to be brothels.
“We have received reports of a property being used for immoral purposes in Suttons Lane. The reports have been passed on to the neighbourhood policing team to investigate.”