Travellers leave open space behind Romford street
PUBLISHED: 10:18 11 August 2014 | UPDATED: 10:31 11 August 2014
Travellers who gained unauthorised access to an open space behind a Romford street last week have now moved on.
Around 12 caravans moved onto the site behind Lilliput Road on Friday afternoon and were almost immediately served with an eviction notice.
Havering Council’s parks protection team remained at the site until the travellers moved on yesterday at 5.30pm.
June Wingrove, whose garden backs onto the area that was occupied said: “The whole situation has been resolved now.
“The parks protection people were absolutely brilliant - they were there all the time and happy to give people updates.”
She added: “All that is left now is an awful mess.”
This is not the first time that travellers have gained access to open spaces in Havering.
Earlier this year around 25 caravans were parked in Bretons car park in Rainham and were not moved on for almost a week.
Labour candidate for Romford, Sam Gould, said: “It comes as no surprise that travellers moved onto a space off Lilliput Road.
“I have warned the council that this will continue to happen until they begin to exercise precautionary measures in problem areas so that travellers cannot occupy spaces in the first place.
“They have not listened and once again they have put residents’ safety at risk.”
Cllr Melvin Wallace, cabinet member for culture and community engagement, pointed out that the council “won’t tolerate any unauthorised settlement in our parks or green spaces”.