Search

Sentencing delayed for Upminster man who dumped 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated waste in Beckton

PUBLISHED: 16:08 27 April 2017 | UPDATED: 18:26 27 April 2017

Stuart Beattie will be sentenced at a later date. Picture NEWHAM COUNCIL

Stuart Beattie will be sentenced at a later date. Picture NEWHAM COUNCIL

Archant

The sentencing of a fly-tipper from Upminster who admitted dumping 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton has been delayed.

Beattie dumped 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton. Picture NEWHAM COUNCILBeattie dumped 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton. Picture NEWHAM COUNCIL

Stuart Beattie, 26, could be jailed for dumping the dangerous waste in two separate spots on Eric Clarke Lane.

His reckless actions resulted in the road being closed and buses put on diversion and also mean the entrance to children’s riding stables were blocked.

The clear up operation cost the council £9,000.

Earlier this month at Thames Magistrates Court he admitted fly-tipping but the sitting magistrates said their powers of punishment were insufficient to match the seriousness of the crime so it was transferred to Snaresbrook Crown Court.

Beattie dumped  36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton. Picture NEWHAM COUNCILBeattie dumped 36 tonnes of asbestos-contaminated rubble on a street in Beckton. Picture NEWHAM COUNCIL

He was due to be sentenced last week but it has been adjourned to May 25.

Councillor Pat Murphy, mayoral adviser for Newham Council’s environment, said: “I am delighted the magistrates recognised the seriousness of the offences, and we look forward to the crown court taking a similarly tough stance, and sentence accordingly.

“This case underlines our commitment to investigate, catch and bring to justice criminals who endanger our residents, and deface our environment by dumping rubbish in our borough.”

Most Read

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists