Search

Man admits manslaughter after Harold Hill father-of-two’s ‘completely needless’ death

PUBLISHED: 14:38 26 February 2018 | UPDATED: 14:38 26 February 2018

Dean Jose, formerly of Harold Hill, died after being kicked in the head in Brentwood. Photo: Essex Police

Dean Jose, formerly of Harold Hill, died after being kicked in the head in Brentwood. Photo: Essex Police

Archant

A man has admitted manslaughter after causing a fatal brain injury when he kicked a father-of-two in the head as he lay unconscious on the ground in Brentwood.

Nathan Turner, 23, of Myrtle Road, Brentwood, pleaded guilty to causing the manslaughter of 47-year-old Dean Jose when he appeared at Chelmsford Crown Court today (Monday, February 26).

Dean Jose, 47, grew up in Harold Hill before moving to King’s Lynn, Norfolk and was described by his family as “a devoted husband and a loving father”.

Mr Jose had been back in the area to attend a charity event with his wife when he was assaulted outside Murphy’s Sports Bar in Kings Road, Brentwood at around 12.45am on August 28 last year.

The court heard Mr Jose and his wife, were returning to their hotel at 12.45am on Bank Holiday Monday when an argument broke out with a group of girls.

The girls got into a BMW car but a short time later Turner got out of the vehicle and a fight broke out between him and Mr Jose.

Turner punched Mr Jose to the ground and, whilst he lay unconscious, kicked him in the head.

Mr Jose suffered serious head injuries and died on Saturday, September 2.

In a statement released after his death, Mr Jose’s family praised the rehabilitation specialist’s “incredible zest for life”.

They said: “He will forever live on in the hearts of everyone who knew him and the people and families that he has helped over the years.

“As a family we are devastated at his sudden and completely unnecessary and cruel death.

“We have been needlessly robbed of a husband, dad, son, brother and friend.

Turner was arrested and charged, and admitted manslaughter in court after prosecutors decided not to pursue a murder charge.

Following the hearing Senior Investigating Officer DI Stuart Truss said: “Mr Jose’s death was completely needless.

“He had enjoyed an evening out with his wife and neither of them could ever have dreamed it would end so violently tragically over a pointless argument.”

He was remanded in custody and will next appear at the court for sentence on Friday March 9.


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder