Jordan Douherty murder trial: 15-year-old victim of ‘second attack’ after fatal Collier Row stabbing
PUBLISHED: 07:00 28 November 2018
A 15-year-old boy who was fatally stabbed in the heart and neck, fell victim to a “second attack” just moments after being knifed outside a community centre, a court heard.
Footage shown during the trial at the Old Bailey, yesterday, November 27, showed that Jordan Douherty had managed to stand up and run to Lynwood Drive, around the corner from the North Romford Community Centre, Clockhouse Lane, Collier Row, where he was once again attacked and kicked on June 23 this year.
But prosecutor Duncan Atkinson made it clear to the jury that none of the defendants - a 17-year-old from Newham being tried for murder and a 17-year-old and 16-year-old accused of conspiracy to commit grievous bodily harm (GBH) - were “actively involved in the second attack”.
An investigation into anyone else who was involved in the incident is still being carried out.
All three defendants cannot be named for legal reasons.
Mr Atkinson continued: “However, so far as [the two defendants charged with conspiracy to commit GBH] are concerned, they had on the evidence already participated all too actively in a concerted attack on Douherty, which had as its inevitable object the causing of serious harm.
“So far as [the teen charged with murder], is concerned, as the evidence shows, he had already stabbed Douherty and at the time of this second attack, Jordan Douherty was already dying as a result.”
In a video which was shared on Snapchat and obtained by police, Jordan Douherty is seen on the ground in a “prone position, being punched and kicked” by individuals including, allegedly, two of the three defendants.
The prosecutor claimed the 17-year-old defendant charged with murder also appears on the camera, lunging to the ground and making a “striking action” towards Mr Douherty.
Police were called to the scene where they found the 15-year-old in a “large pool of blood” with a few people trying to put him in the recovery position.
Further CCTV footage showed a friend of the 17-year-old defendant, standing outside the community centre while the incident took place.
It is alleged that as the defendant was walking past the centre, the footage showed the friend making a gesture, encouraging him to go over to him.
It appeared the defendant passed him something before walking in the opposite direction from the crime scene.
Another teenager who was also outside the community centre at this time, told police he saw “people screaming and running” and “felt like someone was going to get hurt”.
Shortly after, he said he saw the 17-year-old approach the friend and in a hurry say “I’m going, I’m out of here”, as he handed something over to him.
The witness said “no, no, no” before watching the friend “kick the ground close to where they were standing and thought he had got rid of something”.
A knife with “blood on the tip”, confirmed to be that of Jordan Douherty’s, was later found by police underneath a rear wheel of a grey Nissan Qashkai in the community centre’s car park.
Small traces of the defendant’s DNA was found on the knife, the jury heard.
Summing up, Mr Atkinson told the court: “There is no question that the person who stabbed him [Mr Douherty] had intended to cause serious bodily harm.
“The issue is not whether there was a murder but who was responsible.
“From the CCTV, the prosecution sees that the person who disposed of the knife, who carried the knife and used the knife” was the 17-year-old defendant.
The trial continues.