Five men accused of murder of Raja Ali from Elm Park go on trial
PUBLISHED: 17:08 09 May 2017 | UPDATED: 17:16 09 May 2017
An alleged drug dealer from Elm Park was stabbed to death after a rival gang set him up in a carjacking ambush caught on CCTV, a court has heard.
Raja Ali, 33, was allegedly boxed in by attackers armed with weapons including a hammer, baseball bat and at least one knife.
After trying to flee his car, he was stabbed 13 times in Braintree Road, Dagenham, on September 25 last year.
Five men are standing trial at the Old Bailey accused of Mr Ali’s murder.
Abubaker Omar-Bana, 26, of Rochford Close, East Ham, allegedly organised the attack and drove a Mitsubishi Shogun 4x4 which was involved.
Mussa Jalo, 21, of Norfolk Road, Dagenham, stands accused of leading the attack with the hammer and baseball bat, jurors were told.
Daniel Welsh, 34, of Dagenham, was allegedly responsible for setting up Mr Ali, while Zakar Yunas, 22, of Rokeby Street, Stratford and Jordan Archambie, of Hesketh Road, Forest Gate, allegedly chased and attacked Mr Ali from the red Renault Megane they were sitting in.
The two other men accused of being involved in the attack fled to France on the Eurostar, the court heard.
Prosecutor Simon Denison QC told jurors how Mr Ali had dealt in crack cocaine and heroin.
The victim was targeted by drug rivals in a plan to “put him out of business”.
Mr Denison said: “He and two friends sat in his car waiting for what they thought was to be a drugs deal.
“In fact, they had been set up by a rival drugs gang so that they could attack him and cause him severe injury or worse and put him out of business.”
The court heard how Mr Ali’s car was rammed by the Mitsubishi before the Megane pulled up alongside it and the attackers got out armed with weapons.
As the victim’s car was smashed up with a hammer and baseball bat, he and two other occupants tried to make their escape.
Mr Ali was chased into Braintree Road where he was repeatedly stabbed, the court heard.
Jurors heard that several CCTV cameras had captured the attack and they will have to watch repeat footage of the events.
They will also listen to telephone evidence between the defendants as they allegedly planned the attack.
All the defendants have denied murder.
Bana, Jalo and Archambie have admitted violent disorder while their co-accused have pleaded not guilty to the charge.
Mr Denison suggested a key issue for jurors would be whether the attack was meant to be on Mr Ali’s car or to cause really serious injury to the victim.
Additional reporting by Press Association. The trial continues.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box below for details.