Search

“Dreadful dozen” banned from Romford town centre

PUBLISHED: 12:00 03 November 2010

Smashed bottle

Smashed bottle

Archant

A DOZEN troublemakers have been banned from pubs and clubs in Romford as the authorities get tough on alcohol-related disorder.

The louts have been given bans ranging from three weeks to two years under Banned From One, Banned From All - a scheme devised by Havering Council, the police and licensees.

Under the programme, launched on Friday October 22, anyone banned from one licensed premises for boozy disorder will be banned from them all.

Last week officials met to discuss incidents which happened over the first weekend of operation.

Afterwards, a separate independent panel of licensees decided who should be banned and for how long.

l A Romford man was given a two year ban after being charged with grievous bodily harm for throwing a bottle at a person in a bar in South Street.

l Three men from Dagenham were given one year bans each after threatening police with violence in Romford bus station

l A Romford man was given a one year ban for a serious assault in a premises in South Street. He was later charged.

l A woman from Collier Row, a woman from Romford and two under-age girls were given bans ranging from three weeks to one year after all four were arrested for affray in the High Street.

l A Romford man was banned for one year for punching a man in a premises on South Street. He had previously been banned from the premises for a similar assault.

l Two men from Chadwell Heath were banned until January 31 next year for an altercation with door staff in South Street and harassing two women in the High Street.

Cllr Geoff Starns, cabinet member for community safety, said: “We are getting tough with troublemakers like this dreadful dozen. Between 11,000 and 12,000 people come into Romford over a weekend for a fun night out and we want to make sure that the tiny minority who can’t have a drink without getting aggressive are kept away from people who just want to enjoy themselves.”

A rogues’ gallery of banned people will be distributed to all 16 pubs, clubs and bars in the town centre so the troublemakers can be identified by door and bar staff.

Havering Council intends to extend the scheme to Hornchurch and other areas across the borough. Insp Mick Bates from Havering Police said: “I am really pleased to see the banning scheme in place and initial signs look positive. People who think there are no consequences to their behaviour should beware. Criminal behaviour will not be tolerated . With the enhanced police presence you now face not only arrest but a total ban from all Romford venues.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder