Search

Dog saves Harold Hill man from fire after he fell asleep cooking

PUBLISHED: 14:05 21 October 2014 | UPDATED: 16:11 21 October 2014

fire engine~8

fire engine~8

sub

A 67-year-old man slept through his fire alarm as his home filled with smoke after he fell asleep while cooking - but his dog came to the rescue.

The man was taken to Queen’s Hospital, Romford, suffering from smoke inhalation after a burning pan filled his home in Beehive Court, Gubbins Lane, Harold Wood, with fumes.

Crews from Harold Hill fire station attended at around 12.30pm after receiving a call reporting that a fire alarm was going off.

A firefighter said: “Upon arrival we found him slumped in the hallway of the property.

“Two crew members turned the cooker off and took the burnt pan off the heat and gave him oxygen.

“It was his dog who woke him up with his barking and not the alarm.”

He added that the fire brigade recommend not leaving your cooking unattended.

London Ambulance Serivce (LAS) crew member Chris Hawkswell tweeted: “We are taking a man to hospital with smoke inhalation after a fire.

“The patient is stable and is going for a check over at hospital.”

A hazardous response team from LAS was also sent to test his carbon monoxide level.

More to follow.

Did you see the incident? Contact Sam on 0208 477 3892 or sam.blewett@archant.co.uk.

Latest Romford News Stories

10 minutes ago

The discovery that a man who had been jailed for using his position as a police officer to prey on vulnerable women could have been allowed to work at Queen’s hospital without a compulsory background check is worrying both for staff and patients.

Yesterday, 17:05

A market trader from Newbury Park has been found guilty of torching a £260,000 Ferrari during an arson attack in Emerson Park that was revenge for a business deal gone wrong.

Yesterday, 16:18

Two of the three teenagers accused of taking part in a fatal knife attack which killed a 15-year-old outside a party in Collier Row have claimed they played no role in the incident.

Yesterday, 16:00

Whether visiting friends and family or going for that bargain in the sales, the rail network helps a lot of people to get around over the festive period.

Yesterday, 15:41

A Brentwood school has taken the Christmas crown in the annual Deck the Mall competition at the Liberty Shopping Centre thanks to one special pupil.

Yesterday, 15:05

A young teenager from Cranham has seen all his hard work pay off after he was selected to play his double bass with the National Youth Orchestra.

Yesterday, 13:00

A Romford FC legend and his friend want to reunite their old school squad.

Yesterday, 11:00

Rough sleepers will be housed in B&Bs by Havering Council this winter as temperatures hit zero – and you can play an important role in ensuring they find respite.

PROMOTED CONTENT

From November, The Mercury in Romford begins to celebrate Christmas. The mall has plenty of gift ideas, fun events and activities for everyone

Vauxhall has completed its sport utility vehicle range with the third, and largest, Grandland X. We put the SUV, now available at Tony LeVoi in Romford, to the test.

“The time to repair the roof is when the sun is shining,” so the saying goes. So if some warm weather is making your conservatory uninhabitable, think about replacing its roof with a flat one and adding a roof lantern instead.

Newsletter Sign Up

Romford Recorder twice-weekly newsletter
Sign up to receive our regular email newsletter

Our Privacy Policy

Most read news

Hot Jobs

Show Job Lists

Education Promo

News from your area

Digital Edition

cover

Enjoy the
Romford Recorder
e-edition today

Subscribe

Education and Training

cover

Read the
Education and Training
e-edition today

Read Now