There With You: Dagenham pair donate 450 Easter eggs to Barking, Havering and Redbridge University Hospitals
- Credit: Lewis and Georgia Holmes
A young couple have donated £650 worth of chocolate eggs and groceries to hard-working NHS staff.
Lewis Holmes, 20, and his girlfriend Georgia Holmes, 21, made their gifts to Queen’s Hospital, Romford and King George Hospital, Goodmayes.
“On the weekend my girlfriend and I were shopping when we overheard a mum who mentioned her daughter was a nurse and was in Asda to try to shop,” said Lewis, an apprentice surveyor living in Dagenham.
The shelves had been left empty by panic buyers and the nurse could only get hold of a few things, according to her mum.
“So we wanted to brighten up her day to buy her some chocolates. On presentation she started crying and just started saying thank you - it was us who wanted to say thank you to her for all of her support in these incredibly tough times!”
You may also want to watch:
From this, Lewis and Georgia decided to reach as many NHS staff as they could, and as a token of their gratitude they pledged to raise money and spent it all on the hospital workers.
“We went out to buy 60 Easter eggs, and then sent messages to our colleagues, friends and family to donate and help us buy as many Easter eggs, fresh fruit and vegetables all for the local hospitals,” said Lewis.
- 1 Rainham gang members jailed for stealing 'over 130' vehicles
- 2 Plans for 1,380 homes on Waterloo Estate granted after tight vote
- 3 Ex-councillor under investigation over Green Belt building works
- 4 Tributes paid to well-loved Romford market fruit-seller
- 5 Strategy is to tackle 'persistent problem' of abandoned trolleys in Romford
- 6 Campaigners launch petition to keep Emerson Park in Hornchurch constituency
- 7 Six green spaces to enjoy in Havering
- 8 From 100 steps to 10,000: Romford woman tackles serious health issues by losing third of body weight
- 9 Death of Daniel Laskos far from isolated as London teen killings surge
- 10 Romford head chefs set for cook-off as finalists in national awards
The pair managed to raise more than £650 in 12 hours from Georgia’s work, Capricorn Financial Consultancy and Lewis’ work, Cushman & Wakefield, as well as friends and family. Donations are still pouring in.
Armed with a whopping 450 chocolate eggs and 250kg of fresh produce, they drove to Queen’s Hospital and subsequently King George,
“We wanted to go there especially for the nurses, critical care staff and doctors caring for coronavirus patients and those affected, as well as those they care for in their day job who are critically ill,” explained Lewis.
“We had two fantastic helpers on the day, Katie and Courtney Nelson, who assisted us with driving all 450 eggs and over 250kg of fresh produce to the two hospitals.”
Now the couple are set to continue on their mission to make sure no nurse goes without a chocolate egg this Easter, and next plan to take on the Newham hospitals, with £200 in the kitty for Newham. ”I’m sure the donations will increase to over £1,000!” Lewis assures us.
Support their cause and NHS staff through this unprecedented crisis.