Construction of long-awaited Romford leisure development due to begin
- Credit: Archant
Construction of the long-awaited Romford Leisure Development will begin soon.
Demolition of the ice rink in Rom Valley Way, Romford, is due to start next week and is expected to be replaced with a Morrisons supermarket.
A new leisure centre complete with ice rink, swimming pool, and fitness suite will be built in Western Road, Romford.
The original plan, drawn up in 2012, was for the leisure centre to be completely funded by the £25m sale of the old ice rink site. In December, the council splashed out an extra £2m for the project.
Cllr Melvin Wallace, cabinet member for culture and community engagement, said Havering Council was now in the “final stages of negotiation” on the project.
You may also want to watch:
- 1 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
- 2 Man jailed for drug offences and violent assaults in Romford flat
- 3 New rapid testing sites open in Romford and Upminster
- 4 Arrests made after multiple stabbing in Havering
- 5 One teenager dead in Harold Hill double stabbing
- 6 CCTV cameras to enforce new lorry ban through Rainham village
- 7 Family of Harvey Tyrrell campaigning for stricter pub safety laws
- 8 New venture for Hornchurch MasterChef hairdresser
- 9 Masks scrapped 'as early as next month' and over 35s jabs 'soon'
- 10 May 17: What can't open when Covid-19 lockdown rules ease?