Colourful hot air balloons fly over Hornchurch and Upminster
- Credit: ANDREW BAKER
Did you spot a fleet of hot air balloons cruising over Havering on Sunday morning?
The colourful spectacle for the 2017 RICOH Lord Mayor’s Hot Air Balloon Regatta formed part of London City Airport’s 30th birthday celebrations.
Up to 30 balloons rose from the Dockland airport’s runway to glide as far away as Hornchurch and Upminster not long after 7am.
The hour-long spectacle was blessed with good weather and blue skies for ample watching opportunities.
Lord Mayor Andrew Parmley said: “The Lord Mayor’s Balloon Regatta is a unique event – bringing together up to 30 hot air balloons, from across the world, to fly over London.
“This glorious sight will raise spirits along with support for my Lord Mayor’s Appeal – benefitting three charities which do a huge amount to support education and music in our communities.”
The charities are the London Symphony Orchestra Discovery programme, St Paul’s Cathedral music outreach and Music in Hospitals.
- 1 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 2 Man and woman arrested following Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 4 Rainham road closed as tactic to stop flytipping
- 5 'Pupils love coming here': Romford primary school retains 'good' rating
- 6 Plans to convert hotel into housing rejected despite residents' support
- 7 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 8 Tribute paid to father one year after death in council hostel
- 9 Two Havering councillors to stand down at next election
- 10 Plan for homes next to listed Hornchurch water tower rumoured to cover monks’ escape tunnel