Collier Row girl to hitch hike from London to Croatia for charity
� A Collier Row student will be hitch-hiking 900 miles from London to Croatia to raise money for charity.
Marie Haynes, 22, is relying on helpful travellers along the way to be able to complete the challenge during her Easter break.
Marie, who studies psychology at Goldsmiths University, London, will be raising money for Link Community Development.
The charity works with schools, communities and governments in developing countries to remove obstacles to provide quality education.
But she must raise �500 initially to take part.
You may also want to watch:
Marie, of Walton Road, will be linked with people by the charity. Each team completing the challenge will be made up of two or three people and must include a male for safety.
Marie said: “My friends and family are concerned about me doing it, but I’m comforted that there’s enough nice people in the world to do this.
- 1 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 2 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 3 Police investigating 'unexplained' death in Collier Row
- 4 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 5 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 6 Can you help find missing teenager last seen in Hornchurch?
- 7 Captain Sam Roberts bids farewell and thanks Romford Junior Raiders
- 8 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend
“I’ll be travelling with one or two people I barely know for 900 miles, hopping in and out of strangers’ cars, sometimes maybe even sleeping rough. All I can say is I hope they like car games.”
She added: “I wanted to do something different and it’s for a worthy cause. It is the first time the charity is doing the event to Croatia, and I wanted to be part of it.
“We have a suggested route to travel along, but we will be �dependent on the people we are travelling with. But we are �expecting to travel through six countries including France, Switzerland and Slovenia.”
“Please donate to this worthy cause and help me conquer some of my fears. This really is a big challenge for me and any support is greatly appreciated.”