Cockroach found in Romford woman’s M&S pizza
A QUIET night in turned sour after two friends discovered a cockroach in their pizza.
Christyanna Mendel, from Romford, and Jemma Cohen, from Hainault, say they were left retching after they saw the dead bug which was missing a leg.
The discovery was made after the pair had finished their roasted vegetable and pesto pizza, which had been bought at Marks and Spencer.
Mrs Mendel, 28, said: “I’m disgusted by the whole thing and won’t be stepping foot in M&S again.
“I’ve always been willing to pay that little bit extra for their food because I believed it to be a higher standard than anywhere else, but they’ve lost my custom.”
You may also want to watch:
It was Miss Cohen, also 28, who had found the cockroach, although at first she did not realise what it was. She said: “I had picked the cockroach off the crust, assuming it was a piece of burnt cheese, but as we were taking the plates through to the kitchen we inspected it and realised what it was. We both screamed and even now it makes my skin crawl.”
Mrs Mendel says she complained to the store in Loughton and to head office the following day.
- 1 Sixth form denies knowledge of alleged A Level 'no confidence vote'
- 2 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 3 ‘It was odd’: Nurse who battled breast cancer retires after 30 years
- 4 Woman dies after falling from 'substantial height' in Romford
- 5 Demolition 'will now begin' to make way for 120 homes at former campus
- 6 Hornchurch man to face trial accused of teeth whitening offence
- 7 Signals at Hornchurch 'crash hotspot' now under review
- 8 Altered timetable means fewer fast trains between Romford and Liverpool Street
- 9 Ex-cop quizzed by police amid historic child sex investigation
- 10 Major train disruption and cancellations through Barking via Rainham
She said: “I was told to fill in a complaint form and bring the remains of the pizza in to store where I would be given a refund. Everyone was very blas� about the incident and I feel like I’ve been fobbed off.
“It was an awful experience and I was physically sick that night. I had to throw away all of the other food I bought.”
The dinner was the first time the pair had seen each other since Mrs Mendel moved back to Romford from Cyprus where she has lived for two years.
“I’m not sure where this pizza has been made but clearly the warehouse or factory needs to employ better health and safety measures.”
A spokesman for Marks & Spencer said: “We are sorry to hear about Mrs Mendel’s pizza and we are very keen to investigate the matter but as we have explained, to do this we need them to send in the packaging and product for us to assess.
“We will then be able to deal with their complaint properly.”