Club News: The Upminster Park Townswomen’s Guild
- Credit: Archant
The Upminster Park Townswomen’s Guild was born from the suffragettes’ fight for the rights of women to be given the vote.
With over 35,000 members, the Guild is a place for women to meet regardless of politics, race, age and religion.
Ideas are exchanged but mostly enjoy being together and making new friends.
Members can also become involved in national events at federation level and all members receive a quarterly informative magazine.
Formed in 1955 the Upminster Park Townswomen’s Guild was created because the original Upminster Afternoon Guild had too many members with a long waiting list. The Guild will be up to 58 members in May and are now the only local Guild.
You may also want to watch:
The Guild meets on the fourth Wednesday of every month at 2pm in Derham Hall, Corbets Tey Road for members to have a chat over a cup of tea and listen to the appointed speakers.
The Guild supports a chosen charity and raises money from a grand raffle and auction for it.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 5 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway
In 2012, the Guild were given a tour of the Essex Highlands and a trip to the West End to see ‘Top Hat’ at the theatre.
There is a planned river trip for the Guild in June and some members are going on a five-day break to attend the National Trust Annual General Meeting.
Chairman Bertha Wheeler welcomes all new members to the Guild and Treasurer Chris Scott has a new members’ pack ready for anyone interested.