Clinics rush to aid of mum-to-be Sarah
A pregnant woman who was denied maternity treatment from her dentist because she didn t have enough proof has now been inundated with offers from other clinics. Sarah Luisis, a 27-year-old mum-to-be from Lyndhurst Drive, Hornchurch, was denied maternity c
A pregnant woman who was denied maternity treatment from her dentist because she didn't have enough proof has now been inundated with offers from other clinics.
Sarah Luisis, a 27-year-old mum-to-be from Lyndhurst Drive, Hornchurch, was denied maternity cover from St John's Dental Practice in Western Road Romford, because she didn't have a special Maternity Exemption Certificate.
That was despite having a doctor's certificate, anti-natal notes, ultrasound pictures of her unborn child, and a pronounced 'bump'.
Just days after the Recorder reported Sarah's battle to get her painful bleeding gums treated, two dental clinics have now offered to help the desperate mum-of-one.
You may also want to watch:
Levitan & Associates Dental Clinic in Mawney Road, Romford, was quick to offer Sarah an immediate appointment, even though her Maternity Exemption Certificate still hasn't arrived in the mail.
A spokesman from the clinic said: "You can clearly see she's pregnant. Once she does get the certificate she can just give us the number.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 7 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
"It's best she get it checked out straight away - she can't go on like that."
The Hainault Gentle Dental Surgery in Ilford also offered to see Sarah, and she has now made an appointment there for next week.
An NHS Havering spokesman said: "We were very sorry to learn of the difficulties experienced by Ms Luisis in relation to her treatment under the maternity exemption scheme. We are currently in contact with the practise on this matter.
"We currently have 33 dental contractors in Havering, 88 per cent of which have indicated that they are currently accepting new patients.
"If any patient has problems in accessing NHS dentistry in Havering or would like assistance in finding a dentist please contact our PALS service on 01708 465058.
Sarah said without the maternity cover she couldn't afford the fees.
The part-time administration worker had sent off an application for a maternity certificate when she first discovered she was pregnant. But she recently found the processing centre in Newcastle had never received it and would take another four weeks to approve a new form.