Car shop smash in Hornchurch
POLICE are hunting for a driver who smashed a car into the front of a shop and caused a gas leak.
Carpet Direct was crashed into by a car being followed by police late on Friday night.
The silver Toyota shot into the front of the shop in High Street as it mis-judged the junction when turning from Billet Lane.
The impact fractured a gas main and the street had to be closed for three hours while police ensured it was safe.
The shop’s shutters collapsed, the windows smashed and the front door moved out of place as a result of the impact.
You may also want to watch:
Police on patrol in the town spotted the vehicle and began to follow it around midnight.
A police spokesman said: “The vehicle is believed to have been stolen during a residential burglary.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 2 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 3 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 5 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 6 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 9 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 10 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'
“The officers noticed it had gone into the shutters of the shop and then carried on going. The vehicle was found abandoned in a side street. It had front end damage.”
Forensic tests were carried out at the scene and on the abandoned car and CCTV is being analysed. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Romford Police Station on 0300 123 1212.