Car shop smash in Hornchurch
POLICE are hunting for a driver who smashed a car into the front of a shop and caused a gas leak.
Carpet Direct was crashed into by a car being followed by police late on Friday night.
The silver Toyota shot into the front of the shop in High Street as it mis-judged the junction when turning from Billet Lane.
The impact fractured a gas main and the street had to be closed for three hours while police ensured it was safe.
The shop’s shutters collapsed, the windows smashed and the front door moved out of place as a result of the impact.
You may also want to watch:
Police on patrol in the town spotted the vehicle and began to follow it around midnight.
A police spokesman said: “The vehicle is believed to have been stolen during a residential burglary.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 7 'Accident waiting to happen': Neighbours on 'traffic carnage' around school
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 10 Havering parks retain Green Flag awards
“The officers noticed it had gone into the shutters of the shop and then carried on going. The vehicle was found abandoned in a side street. It had front end damage.”
Forensic tests were carried out at the scene and on the abandoned car and CCTV is being analysed. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Romford Police Station on 0300 123 1212.