Car shop smash in Hornchurch
POLICE are hunting for a driver who smashed a car into the front of a shop and caused a gas leak.
Carpet Direct was crashed into by a car being followed by police late on Friday night.
The silver Toyota shot into the front of the shop in High Street as it mis-judged the junction when turning from Billet Lane.
The impact fractured a gas main and the street had to be closed for three hours while police ensured it was safe.
The shop’s shutters collapsed, the windows smashed and the front door moved out of place as a result of the impact.
You may also want to watch:
Police on patrol in the town spotted the vehicle and began to follow it around midnight.
A police spokesman said: “The vehicle is believed to have been stolen during a residential burglary.
- 1 Man in hospital after falling 'from height' in Romford
- 2 Brentwood church rave: More than 130 images released in appeal
- 3 Romford cinemas announce reopening plans after lockdown
- 4 Former Lakeside Hammers co-promoter Jon Cook passes away
- 5 Woman dies after 'falling from height' by Liberty Shopping Centre
- 6 New Romford author speaks out about feeling 'invisible' as a black father
- 7 Rainham primary school creates Sir Captain Tom display
- 8 Horses die after Upminster stables blaze
- 9 What is changing as lockdown eases on May 17?
- 10 Jailed: Armed robber who targeted banks and Post Office
“The officers noticed it had gone into the shutters of the shop and then carried on going. The vehicle was found abandoned in a side street. It had front end damage.”
Forensic tests were carried out at the scene and on the abandoned car and CCTV is being analysed. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Romford Police Station on 0300 123 1212.