Car shop smash in Hornchurch
POLICE are hunting for a driver who smashed a car into the front of a shop and caused a gas leak.
Carpet Direct was crashed into by a car being followed by police late on Friday night.
The silver Toyota shot into the front of the shop in High Street as it mis-judged the junction when turning from Billet Lane.
The impact fractured a gas main and the street had to be closed for three hours while police ensured it was safe.
The shop’s shutters collapsed, the windows smashed and the front door moved out of place as a result of the impact.
Police on patrol in the town spotted the vehicle and began to follow it around midnight.
A police spokesman said: “The vehicle is believed to have been stolen during a residential burglary.
- 1 Isla Caton 'gains her angel wings' after five-year cancer battle
- 2 Mother's agony after daughter laid dead in Hornchurch flat for six weeks
- 3 'I just shut my eyes': Murder accused tells of moment he ran over victim
- 4 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 5 WATCH: Man accelerates towards unconscious victim outside Sugar Hut
- 6 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 7 Care home to host monthly breakfast club for blue light responders
- 8 Havering SEN pupils 'fell further behind than peers' during pandemic
- 9 Fake Dyson Airwrap and Primark baby toy among recent recalled items
- 10 Complaints about Havering’s children’s services rise year-on-year
“The officers noticed it had gone into the shutters of the shop and then carried on going. The vehicle was found abandoned in a side street. It had front end damage.”
Forensic tests were carried out at the scene and on the abandoned car and CCTV is being analysed. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Romford Police Station on 0300 123 1212.