Car shop smash in Hornchurch
POLICE are hunting for a driver who smashed a car into the front of a shop and caused a gas leak.
Carpet Direct was crashed into by a car being followed by police late on Friday night.
The silver Toyota shot into the front of the shop in High Street as it mis-judged the junction when turning from Billet Lane.
The impact fractured a gas main and the street had to be closed for three hours while police ensured it was safe.
The shop’s shutters collapsed, the windows smashed and the front door moved out of place as a result of the impact.
You may also want to watch:
Police on patrol in the town spotted the vehicle and began to follow it around midnight.
A police spokesman said: “The vehicle is believed to have been stolen during a residential burglary.
- 1 Havering parks and gardens five feet under water as rivers burst their banks
- 2 Fines issued to Romford and Upminster restaurants flouting coronavirus restrictions
- 3 Infection rates are now falling in Havering - is lockdown working?
- 4 More than 100 Covid dead at Queen's and King George this week
- 5 Man killed in collision on A13 near Rainham
- 6 Havering and Barking and Dagenham parents 'outraged' at poor quality free school meal replacements
- 7 GPs roll up their sleeves to support colleagues at Queen's Hospital
- 8 Doctors and nurses 'exhausted' as hospitals reach breaking point
- 9 Charity boss hails response after 'army of volunteers' come forward to support vaccine centres
- 10 Pressure on to preserve Upminster trees as council receives almost 200 messages
“The officers noticed it had gone into the shutters of the shop and then carried on going. The vehicle was found abandoned in a side street. It had front end damage.”
Forensic tests were carried out at the scene and on the abandoned car and CCTV is being analysed. Anyone with information about the incident is asked to call Romford Police Station on 0300 123 1212.