Lidl to submit a planning application for a Rainham store
- Credit: Lidl
Lidl is to apply to open a supermarket in Rainham.
The site would extend just over an acre and sits on Rainham Road, bound by Rainham Road to the east, La Salette Catholic Primary School and Our Lady of La Salette Church to the south, with homes to the north and west.
Close to Rainham town centre, Lidl says the planned site is accessible being about half a mile from Rainham Station and with the 103 bus route running next to it.
It would create up to 40 jobs and have two rapid electric vehicle charging points capable of charging a vehicle in 30 minutes.
The chain claims there would be one or two HGV deliveries to the store per day. All store waste will be collected at the same time as the deliveries, therefore minimising HGV movements within the site.
You may also want to watch:
Lidl says on its website it will "ensure that the development is treated sensitively, relating sympathetically to the site and its surroundings whilst also addressing transportation, design and sustainability matters".
It also says: "The proposal includes creating a new dedicated egress for the school and the church onto Rainham Road providing a safer arrangement than the existing one that is shared with the redevelopment site and is prone to traffic conflict."
- 1 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 2 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 3 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 5 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 6 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 7 Romford ‘best in region’ chef shares his cooking tip and favourite dish
- 8 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 9 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens charged with murder to face court
- 10 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
Lidl GB’s regional head of property, Colin Rimmer, commented: “We are extremely excited about the prospect of opening a new Lidl in Rainham and serving our fresh, quality and incredibly good value produce which shoppers across the country have come to love.”
“Our plans are set to create around 40 new positions which would be fantastic for the local community, and we hope that as many people as possible are able to join us for this 'virtual' public consultation. We look forward to sharing and discussing our plans with everyone.”
The new supermarket forms part of the company’s £1.3bn investment plans nationally in 2021 and 2022.
Its ongoing success shows no signs of slowing, with the latest Kantar Worldpanel results highlighting Lidl’s increase in sales year on year and market share of 5.9per cent.
The planning application is to be submitted to Havering Council shortly after the Lidl survey.