Bulb in administration: What does it mean for you?
- Credit: PA
Britain's seventh biggest energy supplier has gone into administration.
Bulb provides gas and electricity to 1.7 million households but has gone into administration after being squeezed out of the market.
The company said today, November 22: "If you’re a Bulb member, please don’t worry, as your energy supply is secure and all credit balances are protected.”
Customers of Bulb need to know:
- You do not need to take action, Bulb will operate as usual
- Bulb will contact you if you need to do anything
- You will still have gas and electricity
- You will be moved to another supplier
- All credit balances will be protected and prices will remain the same, top-ups will also continue as normal
- Only call if it’s an emergency, you’re in a vulnerable situation or you're struggling to pay your bills
Ofgem will be appointing a special administrator to protect customers, they will move their 1.7 million households to other suppliers.
Bulb is the largest of more than 20 energy suppliers that have gone into administration since September 2021 as gas prices rose.
- 1 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 2 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 3 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 4 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 5 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 6 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 7 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 8 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 9 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 10 Murder investigation continues after man found dead after disturbance in Rainham
The collapse of smaller companies creates a domino effect, putting too much pressure on an otherwise stable supplier.
The special administrator will continue to run the company until it can be sold off, the customers join another supplier, or it can be restructured.