Brewery Romford is world leader in green thinking
A Romford shopping centre is among the greenest in the country - and is setting an example to the rest of the world.
The Brewery has won two Green Apple Environment Awards in the national campaign to find Britain’s most eco-friendly companies, councils and communities.
It competed against more than 500 other nominations and will be presented with their awards at a ceremony in the House of Commons on November 14.
The Green Apples have been awarded to the Brewery for its ongoing water-saving efforts, which has seen it save nearly 200 litres a day.
The Brewery was also honoured for creating a Green Forum, run by managers, dedicated to green initiatives.
You may also want to watch:
Its winning ideas will now be published in The Green Book, the leading international work of reference on environmental best practice, so that others around the world can learn from it.
It could also represent the country in the European Business Awards for the Environment.
- 1 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 2 Coffee shop apologises for 'mis-post' offering kitten as Christmas prize
- 3 Harold Hill 18-year-old given suspended sentence for ATM robberies
- 4 Future of bus route hangs in the balance as consultation ends
- 5 'Cheating surge': Dating site reveals how many people are having affairs in your area
- 6 Man charged with multiple child exploitation offences to stand trial
- 7 Romford MP slams Crossrail delay as it will miss Queen's platinum jubilee
- 8 Met Office warns of flooding risk with heavy rain set to hit London
- 9 Plane crash in Upminster sees man taken to hospital as a priority
- 10 Christmas lights switch-on to return in Romford
Judges are drawn from the Environment Agency, the Chartered Institute of Environmental Health, the Chartered Institution for Wastes Management and other independent bodies.
Rubie Charalambous, Brewery centre director, said: “It is imperative that we continually look at how we can make changes to our day-to-day activities at The Brewery to ensure we are being environmentally-friendly where possible.
“The introduction of the Green Forum has been fantastic and allows the management team and retailers to affectively pass on environmental best practice across the site and measure the results. We look forward to adding these two Green Apples to our growing collection.”