Brentwood youths win Jack Petchey awards
Fifty-five students from secondary schools in Brentwood were presented with prestigious Jack Petchey awards last week.
The ceremony was held at Shenfield High School, Brentwood, for the achievements of award winners aged 11 to 15, who were nominated by their peers and leaders for the achievements and effort.
Each winner was presented with a framed certificate and a medallion by Chief Inspector Ed Wells. A cheque for �200 had already been presented; the prize money has mainly been spent on extra resources and equipment.
Amongst the winners was Piers Bloomfield, 12, from Endeavour School, who was recognised for the remarkable progress that he has made with his physical mobility, despite suffering from cerebral palsy.
His grant money was spent on an outdoor seated leg press for the pupils to use in their break times.
You may also want to watch:
Georgia Saunders, 11, from Endeavour School, also won an award for volunteering at Ashwells Greyhound Kennels, in Pilgrims Hatch, and helping to exercise, clean out and groom the dogs.
Guests, including the Mayor of Brentwood, Cllr Ann Coe, enjoyed the musical entertainment to celebrate the achievements of the students and the seven adult winners who showed they can motivate young people.
- 1 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 2 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 3 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 East London police officer charged with rape
- 6 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 7 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'
- 8 Brentwood Halloween event cancelled following tragic deaths
- 9 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 10 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
Cllr Ann Coe said: “Pupils, leaders and performers are all a credit to their schools and to Brentwood. Well done all of you.”