Brentwood: Village hall gas leak was “explosive risk”
Ingatestone and Fryerning Parish Hall was closed after a gas leak which was a “potential explosive risk”.
Firefighters were called to the hall, in Mill Green Road, Fryerning, at about 12.45pm on Sunday.
Four houses close to the hall were evacuated and roads nearby were closed after officers reported the gas was dense enough to cause an explosive risk.
Firefighters used breathing apparatus to enter the hall and spent four hours ventilating it before it was made safe. They had hose lines on stand by in case there was an explosion.
Electricity board engineers isolated the power supply at about 3pm.
You may also want to watch:
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said a leak had caused gas to collect in the roof void of the building and ladders were used to enter the area and ventilate it.
There were no injuries and the scene was clear by 4.30pm.
- 1 Gallows Corner Tesco development proposal refused
- 2 Best places to have a curry in Havering as chosen by readers
- 3 Collier Row shooting: Police release CCTV in bid to trace man
- 4 Havering's Hospitality Heroes revealed: Which venues are crowned winners?
- 5 'Heads should roll': Drug dealers left on Romford streets for eight months
- 6 Daniel Laskos death: Court hearing for murder accused teens
- 7 Charity opens development to help homeless into independent living
- 8 Sentencing of Harold Hill ATM robber is postponed
- 9 National Hospitality Day: Locals stuck by cafe through 'thick and thin'
- 10 Covid cases drop at Queen’s and King George hospitals