Brentwood: Village hall gas leak was “explosive risk”
PUBLISHED: 11:51 17 July 2012
Ingatestone and Fryerning Parish Hall was closed after a gas leak which was a “potential explosive risk”.
Firefighters were called to the hall, in Mill Green Road, Fryerning, at about 12.45pm on Sunday.
Four houses close to the hall were evacuated and roads nearby were closed after officers reported the gas was dense enough to cause an explosive risk.
Firefighters used breathing apparatus to enter the hall and spent four hours ventilating it before it was made safe. They had hose lines on stand by in case there was an explosion.
Electricity board engineers isolated the power supply at about 3pm.
Essex County Fire and Rescue Service said a leak had caused gas to collect in the roof void of the building and ladders were used to enter the area and ventilate it.
There were no injuries and the scene was clear by 4.30pm.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.