Brentwood: Tributes paid to man, 90, who died in house fire
�Tributes have been paid to a popular Navestock man who died in a house fire on Sunday.
Harold Porter, 90, known as Boysie, a former tree surgeon, died at his home in Snakes Hill.
Firefighters were called at 12.30pm to reports of a blaze which they believe was caused by a gas leak.
Cllr Roger McCheyne said: “He has been around forever and was well-known by everyone in the area. He will be missed; Boysie was a character who everyone knew and liked and he did a lot of work in the community.”
Roy Tyzack, 65, from Snakes Hill, said: “He was very well-known in the area and had a great knowledge about Navestock and the local history and farming. Whenever there were planning issues, he was always keen to come and help.”
You may also want to watch:
An Essex Police spokesman said: “A joint police and fire service investigation is under way following a fatal house fire in Navestock Side. Police were contacted by the ambulance service following reports of a blaze in Snakes Hill.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
“Officers investigated and found the body of a man in his 90s. The fire is being treated as unexplained while the joint investigations take place.”
An Essex County Fire and Rescue Service spokesman said: “Crews at the scene reported that the whole of the ground floor was well alight and the whole of the two-storey building smokelogged.”
The fire was under control at just after 1pm. The spokesman added firefighters discovered a gas leak and at 1.45pm reported that the leak was under control and the property was being ventilated. The gas board was in attendance.
Mr Tyzack, one of the first on the scene, said: “It was an intense fire.”