Brentwood pupils’ winning sausages are on sale in supermarkets
Prize-winning sausages created by pupils from a Hutton school are being sold in Waitrose supermarkets.
The children from Woodlands School put their culinary skills to the test in an attempt to create the best sausage in East Anglia.
They won the Schools Sausage Competition, run by Waitrose and Musk’s, and scooped �1,000 prize money. Their champion sausage, the Hutton Manor Breakfast Sausage, is being sold in Waitrose stores in East Anglia until the end of July.
The school launched its first Sausage Club in January and the seven children who signed up learned how sausages are made from local butchers.
You may also want to watch:
They experimented with flavours culminating in their final product which contains mushroom, tomato, smoked bacon and Worcestershire sauce.
The panel, including managing director of Musk’s, Chris Sheen, and Fresh food meat buyer for Waitrose, Jamie Matthewson, voted almost unanimously for the Hutton Manor sausage.
- 1 Ex-councillor ordered to undo unauthorised green belt building works
- 2 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 3 'I'm terrified': Woman calls on council to move her to new accommodation
- 4 Romford woman arrested on suspicion of illegal money lending
- 5 Harold Hill neighbours still feeling effects of freak flooding
- 6 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 7 Covid-19: Latest figures show almost 31,000 positive cases in Havering
- 8 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 9 Complaint over elderly woman facing homelessness among those ombudsman upheld in 2020/21
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
Paula Hobbs, headteacher at the school, said: “The children and staff were ecstatic when we heard the news. When I first saw the competition I thought it was a great opportunity to try something completely different and the enthusiasm of the children and staff ensured that the whole project was a total success.”
The prize money will go to the school’s cookery and gardening clubs.