Brentwood man is Asian Sports Personality of the Year
A young Brentwood motor-racing star has been named British Asian Sports Personality of the Year.
Luciano Bacheta, 20, who races in the Formula Renault Eurocup series, was chosen for the title ahead of rivals, Cardiff City football player Michael Chopra and pool champion Raj Hundal.
Luciano said: “I’m speechless. This is a huge honour for me, especially with two other strong contenders also in the category.
“I’ve been really nervous throughout the voting process and to finally hear that I’ve actually won is unreal.”
He added: “This award will now push me to progress further and I can use it as a stepping stone to go on and reach new heights in motor racing. I’d like to thank everyone who voted for me.”
You may also want to watch:
Luciano, who started racing at the age of 13, said that his goal is to one day become a Formula 1 champion.
He is currently managed by Lewis Hamilton’s father Anthony, and picked up the gong at a glittering event in central London last Saturday (March 5).
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’