Brentwood man is Asian Sports Personality of the Year
A young Brentwood motor-racing star has been named British Asian Sports Personality of the Year.
Luciano Bacheta, 20, who races in the Formula Renault Eurocup series, was chosen for the title ahead of rivals, Cardiff City football player Michael Chopra and pool champion Raj Hundal.
Luciano said: “I’m speechless. This is a huge honour for me, especially with two other strong contenders also in the category.
“I’ve been really nervous throughout the voting process and to finally hear that I’ve actually won is unreal.”
He added: “This award will now push me to progress further and I can use it as a stepping stone to go on and reach new heights in motor racing. I’d like to thank everyone who voted for me.”
You may also want to watch:
Luciano, who started racing at the age of 13, said that his goal is to one day become a Formula 1 champion.
He is currently managed by Lewis Hamilton’s father Anthony, and picked up the gong at a glittering event in central London last Saturday (March 5).
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Liverpool Street to Shenfield line suspended as person hit by train
- 3 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 4 Brentwood deaths: Teen charged with double murder to appear in court
- 5 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 6 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 7 End 8am scramble to secure GP appointments, watchdog warns
- 8 Post delays reported in Harold Hill as Royal Mail confirms staff shortages
- 9 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 10 ATMs to be reinstalled in shopping mall in 'more prominent location'