Brentwood: Fundraiser reaches summit of Africa’s highest peak in memory of dad
- Credit: Archant
A man has reached the summit of Africa’s highest peak in memory of his dad.
Chris Worden completed his seven-day trek of Mount Kilimanjaro, in Tanzania, on January 31. He has already raised £2,700, more than he hoped, for St Francis Hospice, which cared for his dad John, from Brentwood.
John attended the day hospice and was cared for while he battled prostate cancer. He died in September 2011.
Chris said: “St Francis Hospice provided wonderful support to Dad and me. The doctors and medical teams really explained things, which helped me cope with what Dad was going through.
“I wanted to climb Mount Kilimanjaro to raise money so that other families can benefit from the hospice care when they need it just as we did.
You may also want to watch:
“I’ve not done anything like this before and I wanted to do something big.
He endured temperatures as low as -20 degrees during the climb.
- 1 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 2 'He was petrified': Rainham mother calls for more action on bullying
- 3 'For my kids': Mother vows to keep fighting over council flat mould
- 4 Harold Wood walkers ‘frustrated’ as ‘beyond repair’ bridge is closed
- 5 Covid stats show cases rising across east London boroughs
- 6 'Darkest days of my life': Six-year-old diagnosed with rare condition suffers OCD, anxiety and depressive symptoms
- 7 Romford Town swimmer Junayna Ahmed to compete in Olympic Games
- 8 Housing in Havering: Major developments set to come to the borough
- 9 New community hub opens in Rainham 'following Harold Hill centre's success'
- 10 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'
Chris said: “It was hard work and at the higher altitude it was difficult to breathe. It took eight hours and every ounce of energy to combat high winds and freezing temperatures to reach the summit. However, I’m pleased to have realised a goal and been able to support Saint Francis Hospice in the process.”
You can still make a donation to support Chris at www.justgiving.com/chris-worden or text CLIMB69 followed by the amount you want to give to 70070.