Bournemouth hit four as Daggers slip to FA Cup defeat

FA Cup First Round: AFC Bournemouth 4 Dagenham & Redbridge 0

Dagenham & Redbridge failed to cause a shock in the FA Cup as they were convincingly beaten by League One hosts Bournemouth.

The signs looked ominous in the early stages as Charlie Daniels played a ball over the top of the Daggers defence through to Matt Tubbs.

However, his first touch was poor and it allowed Chris Lewington time to come out and gather but both clattered into eachother, with Lewington needing treatment.

After that the game settled down, though there was little for the visitors to talk about in front of goal.

For the Cherries, Josh McQuoid shot wide from Lewis Grabban’s ball into the box, while Gayle fired deep into the stand after being played in by Medy Elito.

Michael Spillane picked up a fifth booking of the season, ruling him out of Tuesday’s trip to Oxford United, before later coming off with an injury in the half.

Most Read

And on the half hour mark, Eddie Howe’s side took the lead though when Grabban’s ball in was only pushed out by Lewington to McQuoid who fired it home from just inside the area.

The head injury received by Lewington was enough for him to be replaced by Jordan Seabright at the break, with the former Bournemouth youngster appearing against his boyhood club.

He was called into action two minutes into his league debut when reacting well to push over Marc Pugh’s shot from the edge of the area.

But Pugh doubled the hosts lead after 58 minutes when Simon Francis’ shot was blocked and the rebound fell kindly to Pugh to lash home.

It appeared as though that may start a barrage of pressure from the hosts and Pugh’s cross into the box found Tubbs but his effort was blocked by Luke Wilkinson.

After that the Daggers started to enjoy much more possession and Dwight Gayle missed the best chance of the game for the visitors when he headed Matt Saunders’ corner over the bar when unmarked from six yards out.

But the home side sealed their passage into the second round after 79 minutes when McQuoid lashed home from the edge of the area.

Substitute Wes Fogden was able to get on the scoresheet in the last minute when he curled a left-footed effort past Seabright to seal a comfortable win for the Cherries.

Dagenham & Redbridge: Lewington (Seabright 46), Ilesanmi, Doe, Wilkinson, Ogogo, Spillane (Woodall 27), Howell (Hoyte 72), Saunders, Elito, Gayle, Williams.

Substitutes not used: Green, Reed, Maher, Currie.

Attendance: 5,827 (186 Daggers fans)