Bombers the best
WITH reference to Romford Bombers (Recorder, April 24), like Neil Duncanson, I first found speedway when it came to Brooklands. As a 13-year-old it made the early morning paper round worthwhile for the money to go each week to watch the Bombs . Only draw
WITH reference to Romford Bombers (Recorder, April 24), like Neil Duncanson, I first found speedway when it came to Brooklands.
As a 13-year-old it made the early morning paper round worthwhile for the money to go each week to watch the 'Bombs'. Only drawback was Canterbury wore blue and gold so you could not wear your football scarf at those matches.
Another thing I remember was the match versus a Czech team when Jan Verner did a 'wall of death' round the white wall.
I wonder sometimes how long the football club would have stayed at Brooklands if the speedway didn't leave.
You may also want to watch:
This was the start of a long road into the joys of speedway - 1972, West Ham Bombers; 1973, Exeter Falcons when Kevin Holden went there. Travels into Europe for world finals; 1977, Sweden; 1979, Poland, when Ivan Mauger won his sixth title; Wembley, 75, 78 and 81.
Plus in winter to go to ice speedway in Germany, Sweden and Russia.
- 1 Road and rail disruptions coming up over the coming week
- 2 Chronically ill Romford man's fight for diagnosis after being told problem is psychological
- 3 'Disgraceful': Ex-estate agent sentenced for Chris Whitty assault
- 4 Daniel Laskos stabbing: Teens plead not guilty to murder
- 5 Harold Hill man pleads guilty to Chris Whitty assault
- 6 Lower Thames Crossing: How would Upminster be affected?
- 7 Meet the Olympians from east London and Brentwood
- 8 'Lovely service': Initial impressions of Kem Cetinay's restaurant Array
- 9 Two men stabbed after fight reported outside Romford nightclub
- 10 'Unexplained' Collier Row death 'not believed to be suspicious'
I for one look forward to visiting Upminster come May - maybe I can even find my Romford board which hides in the loft somewhere!
Also it will maybe jog other matches I've forgotten over the last 40 years - has it been that long already? - MICHAEL WILDING, Junction Road, Romford.