Bombers the best
WITH reference to Romford Bombers (Recorder, April 24), like Neil Duncanson, I first found speedway when it came to Brooklands. As a 13-year-old it made the early morning paper round worthwhile for the money to go each week to watch the Bombs . Only draw
WITH reference to Romford Bombers (Recorder, April 24), like Neil Duncanson, I first found speedway when it came to Brooklands.
As a 13-year-old it made the early morning paper round worthwhile for the money to go each week to watch the 'Bombs'. Only drawback was Canterbury wore blue and gold so you could not wear your football scarf at those matches.
Another thing I remember was the match versus a Czech team when Jan Verner did a 'wall of death' round the white wall.
I wonder sometimes how long the football club would have stayed at Brooklands if the speedway didn't leave.
You may also want to watch:
This was the start of a long road into the joys of speedway - 1972, West Ham Bombers; 1973, Exeter Falcons when Kevin Holden went there. Travels into Europe for world finals; 1977, Sweden; 1979, Poland, when Ivan Mauger won his sixth title; Wembley, 75, 78 and 81.
Plus in winter to go to ice speedway in Germany, Sweden and Russia.
- 1 Watch police fine seven in Romford for watching TV together
- 2 Mick Norcross, The Only Way Is Essex star, has died aged 57
- 3 NHS nurse assaulted at east London hospital
- 4 British Gas engineers burn contracts at Havering Town Hall in defiance of 'sign or be fired'
- 5 Covid deaths increase at Queen's and King George hospitals this week
- 6 Queen's and King George hospitals appeal for volunteers to support end of life patients
- 7 Harvey, 7, died after electric shock 'flowed through his body', court hears
- 8 Heritage: How greyhound enthusiast's 1960s betting coup failed
- 9 'A tax on relationships': Politicians criticise boundary charge proposal
- 10 Council report reveals concern that borough's Covid vaccination drive may be held back
I for one look forward to visiting Upminster come May - maybe I can even find my Romford board which hides in the loft somewhere!
Also it will maybe jog other matches I've forgotten over the last 40 years - has it been that long already? - MICHAEL WILDING, Junction Road, Romford.