Bombers the best
WITH reference to Romford Bombers (Recorder, April 24), like Neil Duncanson, I first found speedway when it came to Brooklands. As a 13-year-old it made the early morning paper round worthwhile for the money to go each week to watch the Bombs . Only draw
WITH reference to Romford Bombers (Recorder, April 24), like Neil Duncanson, I first found speedway when it came to Brooklands.
As a 13-year-old it made the early morning paper round worthwhile for the money to go each week to watch the 'Bombs'. Only drawback was Canterbury wore blue and gold so you could not wear your football scarf at those matches.
Another thing I remember was the match versus a Czech team when Jan Verner did a 'wall of death' round the white wall.
I wonder sometimes how long the football club would have stayed at Brooklands if the speedway didn't leave.
This was the start of a long road into the joys of speedway - 1972, West Ham Bombers; 1973, Exeter Falcons when Kevin Holden went there. Travels into Europe for world finals; 1977, Sweden; 1979, Poland, when Ivan Mauger won his sixth title; Wembley, 75, 78 and 81.
Plus in winter to go to ice speedway in Germany, Sweden and Russia.
- 1 Farming family to be evicted from Upminster land they worked for a century
- 2 Man found dead following 'group disturbance' in Rainham
- 3 Murder investigation launched after man found dead in Rainham
- 4 ‘He put his life into family’: Tributes paid to former builder who died of Covid
- 5 'I feel ignored': Mum of three speaks out about bid to escape cramped housing
- 6 Rainham cannabis factory worth over £1m busted in drugs raid
- 7 School submits plans to demolish sports hall and build multi-million pound replacement
- 8 Romford shopping centre to host more than 50 events in run up to Christmas
- 9 'Abused, slapped and spat at': New Romford shopping centre tells of racist abuse suffered by staff
- 10 Twelve Havering properties sold for more than £1m in October
I for one look forward to visiting Upminster come May - maybe I can even find my Romford board which hides in the loft somewhere!
Also it will maybe jog other matches I've forgotten over the last 40 years - has it been that long already? - MICHAEL WILDING, Junction Road, Romford.