As Havering firefighters remember 9/11 victims, one recalls visiting New York in 2001

PUBLISHED: 11:50 12 September 2011

Green Watch from Harold Hill and Hornchurch fire stations, at Hornchurch with Steve Dudeney (right). Picture by Charlotte Dudeney

Green Watch from Harold Hill and Hornchurch fire stations, at Hornchurch with Steve Dudeney (right). Picture by Charlotte Dudeney


After Havering firefighters observed a two minute silence on Sunday to remember the victims of September 11, one told the Recorder about his experience visiting New York in the aftermath of the attacks.

A guard of honour was formed at Hornchurch Fire Station, on North Street, by local crews to remember the victims of the terror in 2001.

They were joined by Stephen Dudeney, who lives in Hornchurch and works at brigade headquarters.

Mr Dudeney was among the first four British firefighters who flew to New York days after the attacks in September 2001.

He and his colleagues, based in Poplar at the time, went to offer help for rescue efforts but were too late as US authorities had already organised and staffed them.

Instead, they visited affected people and started setting up a charity for their US counterparts which eventually raised more than £250,000.

He said: “We saw firefighters in tears. The first fire station we went to had lost 19 people.

“We couldn’t go anywhere walking around Manhattan without people going over and giving thanks to the British, people would even come up and hug us, they are a lot less stiff upper lip than we are.”

Mr Dudeney, who later worked in Wennington and Harold Hill stations, continued: “As for the World Trade Centre itself, it was the most shocking site I’d ever seen. We were stood right there, if you can imagine it was like standing next to a football ground that was a pile of rubble standing ten storeys high.

“At the time I just thought they’re never going to get right to the bottom of it. When I was walking away, I had to keep turning back and checking what I’d seen.”

The 43-year-old still sees the firefighters he met at the time, and makes regular visits to New York.

Of his first visit, he added: “I was surprised how quickly they’d cleaned up most of the city and it was business as usual.

“At City Hall they’d even turned over the flower beds, but when we went behind the police cordon and it was like just like walking in grey snow from all the dust that was there.”

If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Most Read

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Most Read

Latest from the Romford Recorder