Appeal for volunteers to help elderly in Havering during the cold weather
- Credit: Archant
A volunteer service is appealing for people to help eldedrly residents who have become housebound because of the recent cold weather.
Havco’s Volunteer Centre’s team of Cold Weather Befrienders have been running errands for older people who have been isolated because of the weather.
The new volunteer programme is part of Activate Havering where a befriender is assigned to an older resident to help them maintain their independence and keeping injury free.
Volunteers take a training course and are CRB and DBS checked before starting. They initially call their resident to warn them of the coming snow or icy weather and advise them to stock up. After the snow they call the resident to check if they need any assistance or help with groceries.
Doreen Kilian, of Elm Park, said that she normally feels closed in, when it snows, but has felt more secure knowing that she could call her befriender to get her antibiotics.
You may also want to watch:
She said: “It’s a wonderful feeling knowing that there is someone nearby who cares.”
If you are interested in becoming a befriender you can contact the project co-ordinator Sarah Huckerby-Long on 01708 742881 or email@example.com.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations