Appeal for Havering residents to help home vulnerable youngsters
- Credit: Archant
A homeless charity is appealing to Havering residents to offer their spare bedrooms up to a vulnerable young person.
Centrepoint launched the Supported Lodgings Scheme yesterday (Thursday), hoping that families will offer a bed and support to 16-24 year-olds who might otherwise be sleeping rough.
More than 100 youngsters from Havering were accepted as homeless in 2011 and 2012, and nationally there has been a 10 per cent rise in youth homelessness in the last three years, Centrepoint have said.
Sky Aimez-moi, 17, is homeless and helped design the scheme. He said: “Young people need options, it helps empower them. If I’d had the choice of staying in supported lodgings I’d have probably gone for it.
“Living in a home was something I was used to.”
You may also want to watch:
He added: “Each young person needs different support. Being around just a few people could help a young person focus so living with hosts might be the best environment to help them grow.”
The charity wants good samaritans to provide a safe, friendly environment where a vulnerable young person can learn vital skills, such as cooking and cleaning, normally passed on by a family member.
- 1 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 2 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 3 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 4 Havering's MPs mourn fatal stabbing of Sir David Amess
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 7 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 8 Entry and exit wording on ground by Elm Park car park to be investigated
- 9 Mum fears gaping ceiling left by workers will 'collapse' on children
- 10 Romford's Jesy Nelson denies 'blackfishing' accusations
For more information visit www.centrepoint.org.uk/supportedlodging