Search

Angry parents not giving up fight for safer access to Rainham school

PUBLISHED: 16:09 25 May 2017 | UPDATED: 16:09 25 May 2017

Upset parents protesting at Newtons Primary School on Monday.

Upset parents protesting at Newtons Primary School on Monday.

Archant

A group of disgruntled parents of Newton Primary School pupils “have no intention of giving up” their campaign against Clarion Housing Group over parking outside the school.

Labour candidate for Dagenham and Rainham Jon Cruddas and his Ukip counterpart Peter Harris met parents to offer their support.Labour candidate for Dagenham and Rainham Jon Cruddas and his Ukip counterpart Peter Harris met parents to offer their support.

On Monday, Labour candidate for Dagenham and Rainham Jon Cruddas and his Ukip counterpart Peter Harris met several parents outside the school, Lowden Road, Rainham, to support their protest against the housing group’s “inconsiderate” planning of the Orchard Village Estate.

With development works affecting access to the school, including a car park which has been boarded up by Clarion and was previously used by parents, many children have to walk through the busy car park at the back to get to the building.

Natasha Summers, of Stanley Road, Rainham, said: “I’ve seen five near misses of children almost being hit by cars.

“What will it take for these safety issues to be sorted before someone is seriously hurt?

“We have no intention of giving up this fight until the surroundings of our school are safe.”

Councillor Graham Williamson attended a similar protest in March and said changes need to be made before Orchard Village falls under council control.

“Because most of the road space in Orchard Village will soon come under the council control it is important we ensure, since our children’s safety is paramount, the appropriate safety measures and road layout changes are introduced beforehand.”

However, parent Leigh Haywood, of Orchard Village Estate, said she feels no one is listening to the group’s concerns.

“We have been complaining for months yet nothing is done and our children are still in danger.

“We parents are not asking the earth, just a few small changes to make it safe for our children.”

A spokesman for Clarion Housing said: “We have met with parents and the local ward members about this and discussed some possible solutions with them.

“We are currently reviewing these with the contractors on site and Havering Council to see what will and won’t work and then will implement those that do as soon as possible.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder