Amanda Craig of Elm Park takes home �100 in Havering Council’s “Best of British” competition
A Hornchurch shopper has bagged �100 in Havering Council’s “Best of British” competition.
More than 2,000 people entered the draw by voting for their favourite shop decorations in Hornchurch town centre. Forty-five shops decked themselves out in patriotic red, white and blue, marking a summer that has seen Britain celebrate the Olympics and the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee.
The successful entrant, Amanda Craig of Elm Park, will be able to spend her prize in the winning store, gift shop Hamiltons, in Station Lane.
Amanda said: “I was thrilled and surprised to find out I had won. I never win anything. I thought the competition was a great idea and the shops had made a great effort with their decorations.
“It was really hard to choose, to be honest – they were all really good.”
You may also want to watch:
The council ran the competition to celebrate and support independent businesses in Hornchurch.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 3 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 4 Case for release of Gallows Corner upgrade funds is in pipeline, TfL says
- 5 Thunderstorms and possible flooding forecast for east London
- 6 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 7 120-home development on Harold Hill college site approved
- 8 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 9 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 10 Weather warning in place with east London set for thundery weekend