Allardyce wants a look before giving Barrera the Mexican wave

After a disastrous first season in England, you would be forgiven for thinking that Pablo Barrera’s exit from Upton Park was merely a formality.

But after an extraordinary performance for Mexico in the final of the CONCACAF Gold Cup last month, the winger is suddenly back on the West Ham radar as new boss Sam Allardyce considers his squad for his first campaign.

Barrera scored twice and overshadowed Manchester United’s Javier Hernandez in the final as the Mexicans beat USA 4-2 to retain the trophy.

It was a far cry from his efforts for the Hammers during their relegation campaign.

The Mexico international star, who signed in a �4million deal from Pumas following some impressive performances for his country at the World Cup at South Africa, did not live up to his billing.


You may also want to watch:


In 21 appearances in claret and blue, he failed to score a goal and too often made the wrong decision when on the ball, resulting in him losing possession, or running down a blind alley.

But Allardyce is keen to look over the potential of Barrera, who with his pace and shooting ability could be a lethal weapon in the Championship if used in the right way.

Most Read

Avram Grant certainly did not get the best out of him. He did not figure after a substitute appearance in the 5-1 FA Cup victory over Burnley on February 21.

Certainly a confident Barrera would be an exciting asset for West Ham to possess next term, but much will depend on how negative an effect last season had on the player.

Wigan Athletic are said to be interested in keeping him in England, but the lure of Spanish outfit Real Zaragoza may be too tempting for Barrera to resist.

The La Liga outfit, who come to Upton Park for a friendly on July 30, are managed by former Mexico coach Javier Aguirre and he has long been a fan of Barrera.

If they can meet the West Ham asking price, said to be the same as they paid for him last summer, then he is likely to go.

But Allardyce will run the rule over him when he returns to training next week before a final decision is made on a player who is in the second year of a four-year contract.

? Meanwhile, striker Zavon Hines did not travel to Switzerland for the club’s pre-season tour.

The 22-year-old, who missed half of last season with a knee injury, has failed to sign the new contract offered to him.

He was linked with a move to Norwich City earlier in the summer, but that seems to have fallen through and he is expected to put pen to paper on his West Ham deal in the next week.

Become a Supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Become a Supporter