Search

Accident hotspot Gallows Corner misses out on government’s funding for major road improvements

PUBLISHED: 15:12 10 July 2017 | UPDATED: 15:12 10 July 2017

Gallows Corner junction, flyover and roundabout in Romford. Picture: Ellie Hoskins

Gallows Corner junction, flyover and roundabout in Romford. Picture: Ellie Hoskins

Archant

A notorious accident hotspot in the borough has not been included in the government’s plan for £6.1billion of major road improvements.

Havering's London Assembly member Keith Prince at Gallows Corner. Picture: Keith PrinceHavering's London Assembly member Keith Prince at Gallows Corner. Picture: Keith Prince

Transport minister Jesse Norman unveiled the programme of works on Friday, June 30, as part of the government’s wider £23bn scheme to upgrade England’s road network.

But despite Gallows Corner being named London’s eighth most dangerous road in 2008, it was excluded from the proposals.

Keith Prince, London Assembly Member for Havering and Redbridge, said: “I can assure you, I will not rest until Gallows Corner is improved.”

Most of the roads mentioned in the scheme are those outside the capital.

The A12 was the only London route included and will have three lanes widened between junction 19, north of Chelmsford and junction 25, the A120 interchange.

In July, last year, London mayor Sadiq Khan pledged to consider options to improve the accident hotspot.

Mr Khan said he was struck by the number of accidents, people hurt and was very concerned.

His predecessor as mayor, Boris Johnson, said, at a Mayor’s Question Time in October 2014 that it was time for Transport for London (TfL) to improve the road.

A spokesman for TfL also said recommendations for safety measures would be introduced by spring 2016.

But no works have yet taken place.

In January, last year, TfL opened a public consultation with a number of recommendations for road safety improvements.

Proposed changes were to the roundabout layout and traffic islands, new white lines and guidance markings, widened traffic lanes, footway widening, a 30mph extension and vehicle activated speed limit signs.

Around 340 people responded to the consultation and TfL has decided in December to proceed with the improvements.

Work is due to start in spring 2018.

But Mr Prince said these proposals were only a “short term” solution.

“For the long term, I am trying very hard to get funding for a flyover,” he continued.

“I am having quite in-depth talks with the deputy mayor Val Shawcross about Gallows Corner and a couple of ideas are on the table.

“I cannot say what’s definitely going to happen until I get a commitment from [Havering Council] and the deputy mayor to provide funding to improve it.”


If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.

Related articles

Become a supporter

This newspaper has been a central part of community life for many years. Our industry faces testing times, which is why we're asking for your support. Every contribution will help us continue to produce local journalism that makes a measurable difference to our community.

Latest from the Romford Recorder