A rubbish excuse: collection truck too wide for Romford street
FRUSTRATED residents have been stuck with their rubbish after a council collection truck was too big to fit down the street.
Residents living in Burleigh Close were at their wits end after their rubbish was left uncollected five times over the past few weeks.
Despite leaving it out before 7am on the designated Monday, it had continually been ignored since the council implemented its new collection rota on October 4.
Many had assumed the dustman hadn’t been told about the change of days from Friday to Monday.
Instead, as the Recorder uncovered this week, the new trucks being used were simply too wide to fit down the narrow street.
You may also want to watch:
One resident said: “Every week the rubbish is left and every Tuesday morning we ring to complain. Yet again we are left with a street full of rubbish.”
After complaining, the council promptly picked up the rubbish the next day.
- 1 Deadline looming to comment on Market Place development plans
- 2 Man and two boys charged with murder of Daniel Laskos in Harold Wood
- 3 Serial child sex offender jailed after found with 14,000 indecent images
- 4 Heritage: Is it Romford or Rumford? You decide
- 5 Romford man gains 100,000 signatures to scrap £200m Prince Philip yacht
- 6 Why Romford MP is allowed to keep names of donors secret
- 7 'No one deserves that': Neighbours 'traumatised' by triple stabbing
- 8 Havering electoral wards face axe as borough is split into 20 areas
- 9 One teenager dead in Harold Wood triple stabbing
- 10 Harold Wood fatal stabbing victim named as police arrest three more people
In the past a smaller collection vehicle had been used. However it appears the message failed to be passed on when the new schedule was implemented.
The council has now assured residents its smaller truck will be used in the future.
The rescheduled days were part of a scheme to streamline a collection system which hadn’t been updated in more than 15 years.
Cabinet member for environment, Cllr Barry Tebbutt, said: “We should have acted on this sooner and are sorry for any inconvenience this has caused residents in Burleigh Close.
“Before the rescheduling, which involved 100,000 properties, our contractors used a narrower vehicle.”.”