A Romford headteacher is in shortlist of national unsung heroes competition
- Credit: Archant
A headteacher has made it to the shortlist of a national competition for inspirational unsung heroes.
Mary Morrison, head of Bower Park Academy, in Romford, is in the running for the 2013 Pearson Teaching Awards, amongst other headteachers, teachers, teaching assistants and school teams.
She was nominated in recognition of the improvements made at the school since she was appointed head in September 2004.
Mrs Morrison said: “Although this is a personal nomination, it would not have been possible for me to achieve it without the full and dedicated support of all stakeholders which include staff, students, parents and governors.”
Richard Shaw, chair of governors, said: “This nomination is a ringing endorsement of the effort and vision of Mrs Morrison in leading the school’s incredible progress.
You may also want to watch:
“Since her appointment the school has achieved a year-on-year improvement in our examination results. This year Bower Park was designated one of the 100 most improved schools in the country.”
The results of the competition will be announced on May 17, on Thank a Teacher Day.
- 1 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 2 Romford’s M&S staff go viral with Thriller dance TikTok video
- 3 How Romford are you? Test yourself with our quiz
- 4 Family 'sleeps with one ear open' after repeated flooding in heavy rain
- 5 Brentwood attack: CCTV appeal after man repeatedly kicked in head
- 6 Disruptions to watch out for in and around Havering next week
- 7 Still no progress on plans for new health hub at St George's Hospital site
- 8 'I don't feel safe': Mother who uses wheelchair calls for suitable home
- 9 Consultations open on rolling out school streets to 12 new sites
- 10 Fire and highwaymen: The history of Hornchurch's old archway