A lot of effort, by George!
IN REPLY to Always proud to fly the flag (Letters, April 22), at last I have received a response from a councillor. I wondered if notice was taken of my opinions. I stand corrected if I have my facts wrong regarding flying St George s flag from public
IN REPLY to 'Always proud to fly the flag' (Letters, April 22), at last I have received a response from a councillor. I wondered if notice was taken of my opinions.
I stand corrected if I have my facts wrong regarding flying St George's flag from public buildings. Although I did not specify East Ham Town Hall (I am glad to hear the flag was flying) I meant public buildings in general.
In all the years I have been flying my flag in Newham, this is the first, in my opinion, that such a big effort was made by the council.
The Newham Mag is full of St George's flags, details of events, free bunting etc. If this has always been so, then it was not publicised as much. With the council's encouragement, celebrations in clubs and private parties were staged this year when they were not in the past.
You may also want to watch:
I have never seen a St George's street party or many flags flying in nearby roads. Hopefully, this will change.
The response this year to the national day has got to be because London Mayor Boris Johnson said ok to it. In past years it has been very difficult to buy St. George's Day cards and bunting locally, but this year it is everywhere. In reply to Cllr Unmesh Desai, I agree that it is everyone's flag and everyone's day. If you want to be part of the community, join in with the celebration.
- 1 Man 'wraps metal chain around woman's neck' in Hornchurch park attack
- 2 Road and rail: Disruptions to watch out for in Havering next week
- 3 West Ham free to build new training facility as council approves plans
- 4 Romford celebrity scandals: Stars who hit headlines for the wrong reasons
- 5 Man charged with attempted bank robbery in Romford to appear in court
- 6 Development coming to Havering: What plans were submitted, approved or rejected in recent months?
- 7 Kem Cetinay’s Array restaurant to host Halloween 'ball'
- 8 Beam Park station 'can't go ahead without government support', council says
- 9 Women targeted in string of mobile phone thefts at Romford nightclub
- 10 The most expensive houses sold in your east London borough in August
I enjoyed the day and not just because it is now deemed okay to do so. - K. WARD, Crofton Road, Plaistow.