A lot of effort, by George!
IN REPLY to Always proud to fly the flag (Letters, April 22), at last I have received a response from a councillor. I wondered if notice was taken of my opinions. I stand corrected if I have my facts wrong regarding flying St George s flag from public
IN REPLY to 'Always proud to fly the flag' (Letters, April 22), at last I have received a response from a councillor. I wondered if notice was taken of my opinions.
I stand corrected if I have my facts wrong regarding flying St George's flag from public buildings. Although I did not specify East Ham Town Hall (I am glad to hear the flag was flying) I meant public buildings in general.
In all the years I have been flying my flag in Newham, this is the first, in my opinion, that such a big effort was made by the council.
The Newham Mag is full of St George's flags, details of events, free bunting etc. If this has always been so, then it was not publicised as much. With the council's encouragement, celebrations in clubs and private parties were staged this year when they were not in the past.
I have never seen a St George's street party or many flags flying in nearby roads. Hopefully, this will change.
The response this year to the national day has got to be because London Mayor Boris Johnson said ok to it. In past years it has been very difficult to buy St. George's Day cards and bunting locally, but this year it is everywhere. In reply to Cllr Unmesh Desai, I agree that it is everyone's flag and everyone's day. If you want to be part of the community, join in with the celebration.
- 1 Aldi given nod to open at former Mothercare branch in Romford
- 2 Car park killing: John Avers the 'best friend' of hitman, court hears
- 3 Hornchurch Japanese restaurant rejects licensing officer's advice over late opening application
- 4 Aklu Plaza submits plans to convert third floor into banqueting suite
- 5 Romford's South Street reacts to BBC licence fee announcement
- 6 Travel Bulletin: Havering, Redbridge, Barking and Dagenham
- 7 Construction company asks to make changes to approved 40-flat development in Romford
- 8 Campaigner glee as 560 trees saved from 'overzealous' railway works
- 9 Mum-of-two honoured by US president Joe Biden
- 10 Rainham councillors publish 'plan B' for Beam Park transport links
I enjoyed the day and not just because it is now deemed okay to do so. - K. WARD, Crofton Road, Plaistow.