600 students evacuated from Gaynes School in Upminster after smell of ammonia reported
PUBLISHED: 11:35 12 November 2015 | UPDATED: 16:38 12 November 2015
An entire school was evacuated for over two hours this morning after reports of smell of ammonia coming from the science lab.
The fire brigade was called to Gaynes School, Brackendale Gardens, Upminster at 8.45am today after a smell of ammonia was reported coming from one of the labs.
The 600 students and 90 members of staff were evacuated before the fire brigade’s arrival.
On arrival, the fire brigade found a range of chemicals in the science lab on the first floor of the building and approximately four parts per millions of ammonia, which is relatively low.
All chemical containers were removed to fresh air and the building was swept clean - there was no further elevated reading of chemicals.
Students and staff were able to go back into the school shortly after 11am.
Police were called at 8.57am but said this was “not a police matter”.
If you value what this story gives you, please consider supporting the Romford Recorder. Click the link in the orange box above for details.