3rd Collier Row Scout Group celebrates 70th anniversary with special night
- Credit: Archant
The 3rd Collier Row Scout Group celebrated its 70th anniversary – with a special night featuring the founder of the troop.
Alf Reeve, now 84, started his own scout group in November 1942 and built the Lone Pine Lodge in Carter Drive, 25 years later.
Members of the group celebrated the anniversary at the hut on Saturday, with chat about memories of the group, presentations and finally – a rendition of Kum Ba Ya around a traditional Scout campfire in the snow.
A 70th birthday cake was cut for the group by Alf.
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell was among the guests who joined in the celebrations.
You may also want to watch:
Assistant Cub Scout leader Laura Pethers said: “It went really well, even better than we expected it to. It made us all proud of the group again.
“Singing Kum Ba Ya in the snow around the fire was a good way to end it. It’s a really great group, going places – here’s to the next 70 years.”
- 1 Teenager injured after Hornchurch stabbing
- 2 Rainham robbery: Boy, 14, suffers slash injury
- 3 Farnham and Hilldene Estate regeneration plans gather pace
- 4 Kem Cetinay officially opens Array restaurant in Harold Wood
- 5 Plans submitted to install 5G mast near Gallows Corner
- 6 Guilty: Who was jailed across east London in July?
- 7 'Prisoners in our own homes': Hornchurch residents left without lifts
- 8 Collier Row grandma crochets letterbox topper to 'make community smile'
- 9 Romford's Jesy Nelson included in Little Mix display at Madame Tussauds
- 10 Top activities in Romford this summer according to Tripadvisor
The group is looking for more members and extra adult help, with Scouts meeting on Mondays 7.30pm-9pm, Cubs on Tuesdays 6.45pm-8.15pm, and Beavers Tuesdays 5.15pm-6.30pm.
For more information contact Laura on 07766384382.