3rd Collier Row Scout Group celebrates 70th anniversary with special night
- Credit: Archant
The 3rd Collier Row Scout Group celebrated its 70th anniversary – with a special night featuring the founder of the troop.
Alf Reeve, now 84, started his own scout group in November 1942 and built the Lone Pine Lodge in Carter Drive, 25 years later.
Members of the group celebrated the anniversary at the hut on Saturday, with chat about memories of the group, presentations and finally – a rendition of Kum Ba Ya around a traditional Scout campfire in the snow.
A 70th birthday cake was cut for the group by Alf.
Romford MP Andrew Rosindell was among the guests who joined in the celebrations.
Assistant Cub Scout leader Laura Pethers said: “It went really well, even better than we expected it to. It made us all proud of the group again.
“Singing Kum Ba Ya in the snow around the fire was a good way to end it. It’s a really great group, going places – here’s to the next 70 years.”
- 1 Hornchurch school puts latest outstanding rating down to 'perfect synergy'
- 2 Woman who 'glued neighbour's door shut' ordered to pay over £600
- 3 Mayor of Havering admitted to hospital with Covid-19
- 4 Wendy's Romford to open tomorrow
- 5 Eight-storey housing and retail development proposed for centre of Romford
- 6 Service users overcharged total of £5m by council accounting 'screw up'
- 7 'Devastated' friends need £36k to help mum with bowel cancer
- 8 Developer submits plan to build 28 houses on rural industrial park
- 9 Plans to cut up to 600 Tube station jobs amid TfL 'funding crisis'
- 10 Police: Blaze in flats with flammable cladding was arson attack
The group is looking for more members and extra adult help, with Scouts meeting on Mondays 7.30pm-9pm, Cubs on Tuesdays 6.45pm-8.15pm, and Beavers Tuesdays 5.15pm-6.30pm.
For more information contact Laura on 07766384382.