Questions have been raised as to whether a man who laid at the side of a road for weeks following a crash in Rainham could have been found earlier.
East London Coroners Court met on August 12 for a pre-inquest review hearing into the death of 47-year-old Garry Peterson.
Mr Peterson, of First Avenue, Canvey Island, was pronounced dead on October 18, 2025, following a discovery by police search teams near the junction of East Hall Lane and Launders Lane, Rainham.
The 47-year-old is understood to have been laying by the roadside for more than two weeks before he was found by officers.
At the hearing on Wednesday, interested persons including his family and representatives for the Metropolitan Police Service and Essex Police were present.
Coroner Nadia Persaud set out the scope that proceedings will look to cover, among it the journey Mr Peterson took from his daughter's home in Romford and back at around 7.43pm, and how the crash occurred.
The court was told how police were alerted to and attended the scene of the crash on October 2, 2025, after it was heard outside the Ingrebourne Links Golf & Country Club.
At the inquest opening in May, the court heard reports included the claim that the driver had left the scene, with no-one located on the evening of the crash.
Mr Peterson was later reported missing, with police search teams returning to the site on October 18, where the discovery of a "decomposed male in the undergrowth" was made.
The victim was identified as the 47-year-old dad via his fingerprints.
Prior to this discovery, the court heard how Mr Peterson had been reported as missing on two separate occasions.
Ms Persaud stated on August 12 her intention to understand why a search by a specialist police search advisor wasn't conducted on the evening of the crash, or in daylight the following day on October 3.
The coroner informed the court she wishes to hear about what police officers found when they attended the initial call, details from eye witnesses, and the extent of the RTC training of the officers, among other details.
Garry Peterson pictured (Image: Family handout/Shelley Taylor)
A discussion arose during the hearing as to whether the grounds for the inquest proceedings to include a jury were met.
While inquests seek to determine where, how, and when a death occurred, not to assign blame, a jury must be summoned to coroners court if there are questions as to whether a death resulted from an act or omission of a police officer.
Representatives at the hearing on Wednesday were allowed to share their position as to whether a jury should be present, though no official decision has been reached due to Essex Police not having legal representation present.
The force has been given four weeks to provide submissions, with this offer also extended to the National Police Air Service.
Ms Persaud told the court: "I think there was an opportunity for Mr Peterson to be found on that evening.
"[...] It is not the most straightforward of cases."
Other areas set to be examined include the search conducted by a dog trained officer, why the incident was not classified as a likely serious or fatal RTC, and why the CAD reference was closed prior to the status of the driver's welfare being confirmed.
The coroner has requested a site plan showing the vehicle’s resting position and where Mr Peterson was discovered, and any response to a request between the police forces to conduct a welfare check on the registered vehicle owner.
Adequate evidence has yet to determine the exact cause of Mr Peterson's death, which has previously been classed as unascertained.
The court heard how a forensic collision investigation report will be used to clarify whether Mr Peterson was "ejected" from the vehicle, or if he was able to exit this on his own.
The inquest will also examine whether the car door was forced open during the crash or manually opened, and the survivability of injuries sustained as a result of the crash.
A decision as to whether a jury will be summoned is expected to be settled at the next pre-inquest hearing review scheduled for November.
The Metropolitan Police has confirmed that an investigation by its Directorate of Professional Standards is ongoing, adding that its thoughts "remain firmly with Mr Peterson's family and loved ones".
A Met spokesperson said: "Our thoughts remain firmly with Mr Peterson's family and loved ones following their tragic loss.
"We are aware that the death of Mr Peterson is now subject to coronial proceedings at East London Coroner's Court.
"We recognise the family's desire for answers and are committed to assisting the coroner in establishing the full circumstances surrounding this case.
Share