Changes are rarely noticed until folk return home after time spent away from home.
This was the case when Rose Brown revisited Brentwood after many years living overseas, so was surprised at the transformation of Hart Street, an ancient road running behind the High Street.
Way back in the 13th century, a charter was granted to hold a weekly market in Brentwood and the place chosen was at the eastern end of Hart Street (formerly Back Street) close to our popular Crown Street (formerly Love Lane).
Adjacent, were the Shambles - an old name for butchers' market stalls.
Not far away were the wooden stocks and the formidable town cage - a rough wooden prison used by the parish constable to hold wrongdoers before they came before the assize court.
Since the 15th century, Great Stompfords farmhouse stood midway down Hart Street.
Sylvia Kent looks at the changes in Brentwood's Hart Street (Image: Sylvia Kent)
Towards the end of the 20th century, the farmhouse was divided into three cottages before it was demolished in 1964 to make way for car-parking. Now housing exists on the site.
During the 1880s, the New Model Lodging House was built, then closed down to its (unproved) reputation as a brothel.
It caused a sensational High Court case, hitting national headlines.
In 1902 our fire station opened. The famous longest-serving fire officer, James Fair and his family lived here.
The fire-station became an ambulance centre, then the Blue Line car-hire firm, before being transformed into the current small shopping complex.
One of Brentwood's work-houses was built in Hart Street known today as the very popular Gardeners Arms.
In 1805 it was extended so that 60 inmates could be accommodated. This was under the jurisdiction of the Vestry - the forerunner of Brentwood Borough Council.
Hart Street once boasted a tannery, brewers, maltsters, chimney sweeps, butchers and many other trades.
Just after the Second World War, Mr Hodges built his bakery there, selling produce in the nearby High Street.
Sam and Elsie Pepperell ran a slaughterhouse and next door, Mr Belfour had a second-hand shop selling ex-military items.
Then came a barber, café, and couturier as well as an antiques shop - photos of which can be found in Brentwood Museum.
One of the last remaining ancient parts of Hart Street is a 300-year old building, once a doctor's coach-house for his gigs (small carriages).
It garaged Brentwood's first motorcar, than an ancient fire-cart.
The building was taken over eventually by Mr Anderson who ran his printing shop before it became the Critic Art Shop and now Brentwood's well-known tattoo centre.
- Sylvia Kent is an author, historian and president of Brentwood Writers’ Circle (brentwoodwriterscircle.com).
Share