A six-year-old boy has been left with a broken leg and head injury after being struck by two electric bikes in a park in Romford.
The child, known as Albie, had been playing with school friends in Rise Park on the afternoon of April 30 when the incident happened.
His mum Amy has now spoken out, appealing for witnesses and calling for action to prevent similar incidents.
She told the Romford Recorder: “I’ve made a promise to my son that he will be safe in our park again.”
Amy said her son was walking along a pedestrian pathway with a friend at around 4.50pm when two electric bikes approached at speed.
The first knocked him to the ground and the second rode over him and neither rider stopped.
She said: “They drove over his left leg – they didn’t stop, didn’t slow down.
“They were wearing all black and wearing balaclavas.”
The school T-shirt Albie was wearing at the time of the incident. (Image: Amy/Contributor)
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police confirmed today (May 6) that no arrests have been made and enquiries are ongoing to find the riders of the e-bikes.
Amy believes the bikes are high-powered Sur-Ron style e-bikes, which she described as “more like motorbikes - they can go from zero to 50 in seconds”.
Albie suffered a serious leg injury and a head wound in the incident, after falling “headfirst” onto the pavement.
Paramedics arrived within minutes and took him to Queen’s Hospital, where a major trauma team was waiting.
Amy explained: “There was lots of people waiting for us at Queen’s with at least 15 doctors.
“They were all there to check different things, he was put straight into a neck brace.”
Doctors later confirmed he had sustained breaks to both his tibia and fibula.
Albie suffered fractures to both his tibia and fibula in the incident. (Image: Amy/Contributor)
Amy told the Romford Recorder that Albie required sedation with ketamine so a temporary cast could be fitted, and his head injury had to be treated to stop the bleeding.
Despite the severity of the incident, Amy said doctors are confident he will recover.
However, the emotional impact has been significant.
Amy added: “Albie’s school friends were there and were traumatised.
“They’ve been having nightmares.”
Albie himself is currently using a wheelchair and is unable to put weight on his leg for six weeks.
Amy described him as “a real cheeky chappy – full of smiles but then will take a dip” as he processes what happened.
The family say the incident has changed how they feel about a place that was once part of their daily life.
Amy said: “I’m not an expert on e-bikes, I am just a confused mum who is in shock.
“I just want to get him back[to the park], but he says no.
“He’s traumatised.”
In a Facebook post shared widely in the local community, Amy described the incident as a “serious” hit and run and urged residents to check doorbell footage or come forward with information.
She said the riders were seen leaving via exits near Beauly Way and Tay Way and may have headed towards Raphael’s Park.
She also raised concerns about the police response in the days following the incident.
Amy said: “We supplied witness details Friday evening, and the police said someone would be investigating it.
“They basically told us nothing was going to be followed up; I couldn’t accept it.”
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said it is treating concerns around unsafe E-bike use as a “priority” across the local community.
The spokesperson added: “Targeted operations are regularly carried out, with riders stopped, vehicles seized and enforcement action taken for traffic offences.”
Amy’s concerns echo wider worries in the community about the use of high-speed electric bikes in public parks.
On the Facebook post, Amy said: “So much more needs to be done to raise awareness on how dangerous these E-bikes are.
“Parks should be a safe place for children to play.”
A spokesperson for the Metropolitan Police said: “At around 18:20hrs on Thursday, 30 April, police responded to reports that a six-year-old child had been injured following a collision involving two e-bikes in Dee Way, Collier Row.
“The London Ambulance Service attended the scene and took the child to hospital, where the injuries were assessed as non‑life‑threatening and non‑life‑changing.
“Officers attended the hospital and spoke with the child and their family.
“At this time, no arrests have been made, and enquiries are ongoing to identify the riders of the e-bikes.
“Officers are aware of concerns around unsafe e‑bike use and continue to treat this as a priority across the local community.
"Targeted operations are regularly carried out, with riders stopped, vehicles seized and enforcement action taken for traffic offences.
“Anyone with information or that could assist police is urged to contact 101, quoting CAD6960/30APR.
"Alternatively, information can be provided anonymously via the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”
Share