Two police officers require surgery after horrifying sword attacks which left a boy dead.

A man wielding a sword was arrested by police after reports of a vehicle being driven into a house in Thurlow Gardens, Hainault, and people being stabbed at 7am today (April 30).

One of those injured was a boy, 13, who died after being stabbed. Four others, including two police officers, were injured.

Two of the officers remain in hospital with stab wounds and require surgery after sustaining "significant injuries."

A man, 36, is in police custody having been tasered and arrested 22 minutes after the force was called just before 7am.

Chief Superintendent Stuart Bell, Met East Area Command police lead, said: "The events of this morning are truly horrific and I cannot begin to imagine how all those affected must be feeling.

"It is with great sadness that I confirm one of those injured, a 13-year-old boy, has died.

"My thoughts are with the injured, their families and the wider community as we all begin to come to terms with what has happened," he added.

RELATED NEWS: Thurlow Gardens Hainault 'sword attack' - LIVE

Ch. Supt. Bell said it was a "very serious incident" and the London Ambulance Service had been on the scene.

He added that the investigation remains in its early stages and officers are working as a priority to establish the full circumstances.

"I want to reiterate that at present we do not believe there is any ongoing threat to the wider community.

"We are not looking for more suspects and this incident does not appear to be terror-related," he added.

Ch. Supt. Bell added that the injuries sustained by the two police officers, despite needing surgery, are not believed to be life-threatening.

"I commend the incredible bravery of our officers and the other emergency services who raced to the scene this morning," he added.

Anyone with any information has been asked to contact police by calling 101.

"I know the families of those involved, the community and many across London will want to know why this terrible incident happened.

"We are committed to providing those answers when we can and I would ask for patience while this important work is carried out," Ch. Supt. Bell added.