A neighbour to a house that was destroyed by fire has shared her plight, saying her home was flooded in the incident.

A two-storey mid-terraced house in Hitchin Close, Harold Hill was ablaze in the early hours of April 4 due to an e-bike battery failure.

London Fire Brigade was called at 3.02am, and six fire engines and around 40 firefighters tackled the blaze for about an hour.

Two people were taken to hospital suffering from smoke inhalation.

Recounting the incident, next-door neighbour Susan Manton told the Recorder: “At around quarter to three my daughter woke me up screaming, then I heard my neighbour’s wife shouting asking him to get out.

"I asked through the window if they called 999, and she said no and so I rung 999.

Romford Recorder: Fire fighters at the sceneFire fighters at the scene (Image: London Fire Brigade)“They were chucking buckets of water to try and put it out, but it just made it worse. And then I got my daughter and two-year-old granddaughter and my dog and luckily my neighbour hadn’t blocked my fire exit, so we were able to get out.

“We ended up going into the house in the other close for which I am grateful. I sat outside with my dog, and a lady got me a blanket and a cup of tea and water for the dog."

While most of her neighbour's house was destroyed, Susan said her property was also damaged as the water pumped by firefighters got inside.

Romford Recorder: The house destroyed by fireThe house destroyed by fire (Image: London Fire Brigade)Read More: Hitchin Close, Harold Hill house fire cause revealed

Susan and her family had to wait for the fire to be extinguished until they could get back.

When they did enter their home, she said her house was flooded down the stairs.

Firefighters asked her to scoop the water out with a dustpan and shortly later Havering Council’s team had arrived with wet vacuum cleaners and a dehumidifier.

The 57-year-old said that days after the fire her house still has wet patches on the walls and the floor has been severely damaged by water.

“We still have wet patches coming through in the cupboards and down the walls slightly," Susan said.

"I was in the kitchen and we suddenly heard a bang against the kitchen wall which is where one of the things fell down in the other house or something like that”, she added.

Susan is fearful the charred structure next door is unsafe even though scaffolding has been put up by the council to support it at the back.

The incident itself has impacted them mentally, with Susan describing: “It has given us nightmares. It's just not something you expect to see at three in the morning."

She is further distressed at the state of her home.

Romford Recorder: Carpet ripped off after the floodingCarpet ripped off after the flooding (Image: Susan Manton)“It’s just not home anymore. It still smells. The doors have started to come off. The walls are all a bit wet, and I have got bare concrete floors”, she added.

The Recorder contacted Havering Council to understand the support being made available to the families impacted by the fire.

A spokesperson revealed that the council has been working closely with the residents of both the house that was on fire and its neighbours.

Romford Recorder: 'It's just not home anymore', Susan says'It's just not home anymore', Susan says (Image: Susan Manton)

A council officer visited the properties on April 9 and has recommended that they be moved to allow for a full structural report to determine the extent of the damage.

The council, the spokesperson said, is waiting for the fire investigation findings and a full building inspection to determine its repairs programme.

They added: “This has been a dreadful situation for anyone to have to go through and our sympathies go out to everyone effected.

“We will do what we can to help them all find suitable and affordable properties and will remain in regular contact to support them.”

Susan confirmed that the council has contacted them to offer them to move, but she is still waiting for a confirmation and a further update.