A man was killed in an "unprovoked" attack at Harold Wood station this morning (February 27), with a suspect already in police custody.

The London Ambulance Service (LAS) confirmed a man was pronounced dead at Harold Wood Station after it was called at 4.29am today (February 27).

British Transport Police (BTP) and the Metropolitan Police attended the scene and found the man with "extensive injuries".

A man was subsequently arrested in connection with the incident, as a murder probe was launched, and remains in police custody at an east London station.

The attack, described as "despicable" by BTP Detective Chief Inspector Sam Blackburn, was met with shock by the Harold Wood community, where violent crimes such as this are said to be rare.

What the emergency services said

The LAS was the first to confirm the gender of the individual who was attacked in Harold Wood Station this morning.

It was the British Transport Police who arrested a man in connection with the fatal attack, after a murder probe was launched.

BTP said it was an isolated incident and forensics teams have been working on site all day.

Superintendent Simon Hutchison of the Met's East Area Command said they are not looking for other suspects.

"I know that the local community will be shocked by this incident and that concerns will be raised locally," he said.

"We continue to work with community leads to provide reassurance," he added.

RELATED NEWS - Live: Harold Wood station reopens after man's murder

Romford Recorder: A police cordon was put up after the fatal attackA police cordon was put up after the fatal attack (Image: Olivia Carter)

How businesses reacted

An employee at Blades Barbers in Harold Wood, who said they just took over the business, said things are getting worse everywhere after the fatal attack.

"What I’ve heard about the area is that it’s such a good area - never heard anything like this before," he said. "I don’t know why this happened, how it happened but things are getting worse everywhere."

Employees at a nearby mini-cab company also said the incident had left them very worried.

One said: "You don't feel safe you know, and we're in such a tight community.

"It's shocking for everyone, everybody's just shocked," another added.

What politicians said

Harold Wood ward councillors said that the increase in crime across Havering was concerning.

Brian Eagling, East Havering Residents' Group councillor for Harold Wood, said the incident was a "one off" for the area, but said he would like to see more stop and searches across the borough.

“We just feel what’s happened is sad and we don’t know the final details yet," he added.

His colleague Darren Wise said: “There is an increase in crime in London and Havering. The underlying root causes need to be looked at."

Julia Lopez, Conservative MP for Hornchurch and Upminster, echoed the police's sentiments on X, formerly Twitter.

She said: "I share constituents' deep concern and sadness about a murder which took place at 4.30am today at Harold Wood Station.

"I have just spoken to Neighbourhood Superintendent for Havering, Simon Hutchison. A suspect is in custody and police believe this to be an isolated incident."

What comes next

Harold Wood Station has now re-opened, as reported by Transport for London at 2.49pm on X.

Gubbins Lane remains closed both ways between Station Road and Oak Road, but is expected to re-open soon.