Havering has a variety of historic cottages, schools and other landmarks, so we have rounded up some photos from down the years.

From Woodman Cottages near Gallows Corner, demolished in 2008, to Harold Wood's Redden Court School, which stands today, we have a range of fascinating and familiar spots to look back on.

The selection of photos includes a centuries-old windmill, and not the one you might think...

1. Woodman Cottages in Romford Common, Gallows Corner, circa 1982

Romford Recorder: Woodman Cottages circa 1982Woodman Cottages circa 1982 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

This photo is of Woodman Cottages in 1982 before its 2008 demolition.

At the time the photo was taken the cottages were occupied, according to Havering Libraries.

"I remember them well," reminisced a Facebook user of the 19th century agricultural cottages, which included the Woodman beerhouse.

RELATED LISTICLE: Historic photos look back at some Havering lost pubs

2. The Green and Vicarage in Havering-atte-Bower

Romford Recorder: The Vicarage, The Forge and a block of cottagesThe Vicarage, The Forge and a block of cottages (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

Though this postcard view is not dated, Knightsbridge Butchers was a family establishment on The Green for more than 100 years, according to Havering Libraries.

Butcher Frank Knightbridge died in June 1933, a day said to have brought great sadness to the Havering-atte-Bower community.

The shop remains part of the grade II listed property at 1-5 on The Green, close to some cottages.

3. St Thomas's School in Church Road circa 1900

Romford Recorder: St Thomas's School in Church Road circa 1900St Thomas's School in Church Road circa 1900 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

After receiving a government grant St Thomas' Church of England National School opened in 1948, according to Havering Libraries.

The school closed after briefly changing use as homes, before becoming The Schoolhouse Restaurant in 1981.

In May 2008 the building was sold by auction to the Hindu Welfare Association of Essex for £630,000, which established a temple and community centre, added Havering Libraries.

4. St Edward's Church in Romford on Armistice Day, 1918

Romford Recorder: St Edward's Church on Armistice Day - November 11 in 1918St Edward's Church on Armistice Day - November 11 in 1918 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

St Edward's Church hosted a crowded congregation on November 11 in 1918 for Armistice Day.

This is a postcard view of the church which still lies in Market Place, Romford.

To the front you can see a small group of soldiers.

5. The Mill in Hornchurch, estimated 1860s

Romford Recorder: The Mill in Hornchurch, est 1860sThe Mill in Hornchurch, est 1860s (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

Though Upminster Mill is perhaps better known, Hornchurch's windmill remains a site of historical significance.

It goes back centuries, first mentioned in 1262 according to Havering Libraries, and was leased in 1494 along with the rectory.

In June 1921 the mill's demise was reported, but it had lasted for more than 600 years, and the adjoining grade II listed cottage survives as a house.

The last millers remained in Romford and Hornchurch, Havering Libraries added, one such revealed in the 1921 Census. Miller George Edwin Howard lived in Church Road close to the old cottage.

6. Redden Court School in Harold Wood circa 1947

Romford Recorder: Redden Court School in Costwold RoadRedden Court School in Costwold Road (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

Redden Court opened on April 10 in 1934, according to Havering Libraries.

The school closed during the Second World War, but unfortunately for pupils a homework scheme was arranged. 

Redden Court is still going today as a mixed comprehensive.