Hornchurch has a proud history - one reflected in its shops and other significant buildings.

Its shops from the 1980s on High Street and Park Lane are remembered to this day, as is former social hub Top Rank Club and the key service Hornchurch Bus Garage provided.

We have selected a range of photos that show Hornchurch's vital past, spots that readers have looked back on with nostalgia.

Hornchurch Bus Garage in Hornchurch Road, 1987

Romford Recorder: Hornchurch Bus Garage, 1987Hornchurch Bus Garage, 1987 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

The bus garage on Hornchurch Road was photographed by AJ Holdbrook, who has his signature to the bottom left of the photo.

It officially opened in 1924 as Romford Bus Garage by the London General Omnibus Company and cost £18,000, according to Havering Libraries.

Then it was renamed as Hornchurch Bus Garage in 1935 and rebuilt in 1954, sadly closing in 1988.

Top Rank Club in High Street, 1987

Romford Recorder: Top Rank Club in High Street, 1987Top Rank Club in High Street, 1987 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

Top Rank Club was originally Towers Cinema, which officially opened on August 3 1935.

The Towers was renamed Odeon in 1950, two years it was taken into the Rank Organisation, according to Havering Libraries.

Top Rank opened with a performance by Lonnie Donegan in 1973 after closing as a cinema, then became a Mecca Bingo hall in the 1990s, but was eventually demolished in 2017.

RELATED CONTENT - PHOTOS: A look back at the shops of Romford's past

Park Lane shops, 1988

Romford Recorder: Shops on Park Lane, 1988Shops on Park Lane, 1988 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

Photographed by Gilbert L Marson, this photo shows one and three Park Lane.

At number one, you can see Numark Pharmacy, at that time a chemist.

Mascot Newsagent sits at three Park Lane, which is a residential property today.

High Street shops, 1934

Romford Recorder: Shops on High Street, 1934Shops on High Street, 1934 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

This is a postcard from the early 1930s, according to Havering Libraries.

High Street hosted a range of shops, from The Bon-Bon sweet shop and newsagent to Green's Stores, which had its business based in Ilford.

There was also John Read Land Agent on the same road.

The Harrow, 1920s

Romford Recorder: The Harrow circa 1920sThe Harrow circa 1920s (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

This haunt has been fondly remembered by people in the area.

"The Harrow was my grandad's local," said Clive Goldsmith.

The Harrow Inn can trace its history back to before 1762, when Thomas Richards was its landlord, according to Havering Libraries.

It was rebuilt by Ind Coope and Co, as seen by its 1920s signage to the left.

Fairkytes, former Hornchurch Library, 1968

Romford Recorder: Fairkytes in 1968Fairkytes in 1968 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

The former arts centre was opened in 1973 by baroness Lee of Asheridge, a former Minister for the Arts who played a key role in founding the Open University, according to Havering Libraries.

It was previously the Hornchurch Branch Library between 1953 and 1967.

As of June 30 this year, Fairkytes Art Centre, a grade II listed building, continues to provide a space for creatives.

Grey Towers/ New Zealand Convalescent Hospital, 1916-1919

Romford Recorder: Grey Towers in HornchurchGrey Towers in Hornchurch (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

This was the New Zealand Convalescent Hospital or Grey Towers, opened in 1916 as the first New Zealand depot in England.

In this photo you can see soliders from that country and two nurses caring for them.

Grey Towers entrance, 1916

Romford Recorder: Grey Towers entrance, 1916Grey Towers entrance, 1916 (Image: Havering Libraries-Local Studies)

Many wounded men were taken to Grey Towers, which contained the hospital.

It is estimated that 20,000 patients were treated there, according to Havering Libraries.