A 16-year-old boy has been found guilty of stabbing another teenager to death while on bail for another serious knife attack.

The youth, who cannot be identified because of his age, stabbed 17-year-old Ali Baygören twice in the neck in the stairwell outside his home in Tottenham, north London, on June 18 last year.

He was arrested at his home later the same day and spots of Ali’s blood were found on his hoodie, the Old Bailey heard.

The defendant had previously been released on bail for a separate attack on a 14-year-old boy in Chadwell Heath, north-east London, on August 6 2021.

The court heard that when the defendant was 14 he lived in a care home where he had an argument with another 14-year-old who he thought had stolen his lighter. 

He called the boy a liar and started poking his leg with a knife, causing him to bleed, prosecutor James Dawes said. 

The boy later spoke to a member of staff and the defendant believed he was ‘snitching’. 

Two days later, on August 6, 2021, the pair arranged to meet in Chadwell Heath.

Jurors heard that they entered a concrete stairwell at a building near the station where without warning the defendant stabbed the boy with a knife which had a Spider-Man design on it. 

He was stabbed twice in the lower chest, the first scraped him but did not enter his body but the second blow entered his chest. 

Mr Dawes said the defendant then fled, leaving the knife in the boy’s chest. 

The boy managed to stagger outside to get help, the court heard. While waiting for an ambulance, the boy said: “I can’t breathe, I’m gonna die.” 

The boy identified the defendant as his attacker telling police “he tried to kill me”, Mr Dawes said. 

The 14-year-old survived the stabbing but has suffered health consequences and is significantly traumatised. 

The defendant was arrested and bailed. 

The following year when the defendant was 15 and still on bail, he was accused of stabbing Ali twice in the neck outside his home. Ali was pronounced dead at the scene. 

Romford Recorder: An anti-knife crime protest was held between Tottenham and Edmonton on following the death of Ali BaygörenAn anti-knife crime protest was held between Tottenham and Edmonton on following the death of Ali Baygören (Image: Paul Burnham)

Giving evidence, the defendant denied murder and claimed he acted in self defence.

A jury at the Old Bailey deliberated for 20 hours to find the youth guilty today (May 16) by a majority of 10 to two of murder and having an article with a blade or point.

In relation to the earlier knife attack, he was found guilty unanimously to wounding with intent, theft and having an article with a blade or point.

He was cleared of a further charge of having a second knife during the incident.

The defendant was remanded into custody to be sentenced on June 23.

Additional reporting by PA.