20 years of high scores for the Romford Scrabble Club
The wordsmiths of the Romford Scrabble Club celebrated its 20th anniversary recently.
The high scoring achievement was celebrated with a few games at St Michael’s Church in Main Road.
Every Wednesday the 35 members of the club meet at the Gidea Park Methodist Church, Brentwood Road.
President Cindy Hollyer, from Brentwood, who has been a member since 1997, said: “We had about 30 people overall, including a some former members.
“I joined because I love words, I love reading, so they go together. At one time families used to play together and chat to each other and this is like that.
You may also want to watch:
“It can get quite competitive though.”
The group is also hosting an all day tournament, with cash prizes, at the Kelvedon Hatch Village Hall on August 11.
- 1 How did your Havering GP surgery score in NHS patient survey?
- 2 New Home Bargains store to open in Romford
- 3 Romford drama students to feature alongside celebrities in new WW2 film
- 4 10-storey block expansion of 700-home development in Rainham gets go-ahead
- 5 Free swimming for schoolchildren in Havering launched ahead of Olympics
- 6 Secondary schools in Havering rated outstanding by Ofsted
- 7 Havering residents warned of weed which can cause ‘severe blistering’
- 8 Dagenham seal comfortable win over Hornchurch in pre-season
- 9 Four-car crash in Havering-atte-Bower reignites calls for 20mph speed limit
- 10 Heritage: Romford's key role in the English Civil War
Anyone interested in taking part in the tournament, or joining the club can call Cindy on 01277 822 050.