20 years of high scores for the Romford Scrabble Club
The wordsmiths of the Romford Scrabble Club celebrated its 20th anniversary recently.
The high scoring achievement was celebrated with a few games at St Michael’s Church in Main Road.
Every Wednesday the 35 members of the club meet at the Gidea Park Methodist Church, Brentwood Road.
President Cindy Hollyer, from Brentwood, who has been a member since 1997, said: “We had about 30 people overall, including a some former members.
“I joined because I love words, I love reading, so they go together. At one time families used to play together and chat to each other and this is like that.
You may also want to watch:
“It can get quite competitive though.”
The group is also hosting an all day tournament, with cash prizes, at the Kelvedon Hatch Village Hall on August 11.
- 1 'Important' ATMs removed from Romford shopping mall
- 2 Two in hospital after crash in Upminster involving 'stolen' van
- 3 Eight arrested on suspicion of murder following death of two teens
- 4 Upminster chef named best in the country with award
- 5 Cladding scandal: Homeowners ‘stuck’ as service charges rise
- 6 Driver, 18, wanted for driving wrong way through Blackwall Tunnel
- 7 Woman dies after car crash near Upminster
- 8 Men questioned and 200 hours of CCTV seized after boys killed in Brentwood
- 9 Detectives appeal for witnesses to Upminster crash involving 'stolen' van
- 10 Who can get a Covid booster jab and how can I book one?
Anyone interested in taking part in the tournament, or joining the club can call Cindy on 01277 822 050.